Discretionary Trust Question - Help !!!

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Helen Le, 17th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Helen Le

Helen Le Active Member

Hi,

I am asking a question for a friend, he will also check with his accountant tomorrow.

He is divorced with one child and he wanted to open a trust, so he can invest his money in it and possible pass on to his child later. He spoke to his accountant and the accountant set up a discretionary trust with him being both appointer and trustee. He was wondering what happens if he dies, can the trust be part of the will ? Who will appoint the trustee and how can the trust pass on to his child ?

Thank you
    Helen

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Partly depends on how much money is involved, but a individual trustee has problems: pretty mich what you mentioned. Testamentary trust is another option. Get specific advice but i would question why individual trustee.

3. Helen Le

Helen Le Active Member

Thank, can the appointment of a new trustee be part of the will ? It's unlikely that my friend will die soon, but he just wants to make sure that things cover.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

He should be seeing a lawyer about this as legal advice.

It will depend on the way the deed is drafted. It is irrelevant who the trustee is as the appointor can probably remove the trustee.

Ideally the current appointor could appoint their successor via separate deed. If the deed makes the legal personal representative of the current appointor as the next appointor it should be amended by a lawyer.

5. Kelly88

Kelly88 Well-Known Member

Currently he is the appointer. Can he specified the new appointer and how he wants to distribute the trust through the will ? Tx

6. Terry_w

I just answered this above. Need to read the deed.

One thing is certain though, the trust cannot be distributed through the will.

Seek specific legal advice - from a lawyer.

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Also consider future partners, future children, death, etc If your friend has a partner in the future and more children, then dies, what happens?

8. Terry_w

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The legal advice is important. I have been approached many time by people undergoing separation and divorce who think they can move assets to a trust and it safeguards this. They may actually complicate matters.

Terry_w likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF