Discharged Bankruptcy 11 years ago - Applying for Home Loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Aaron83, 22nd Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Aaron83

Aaron83 New Member

Hi everyone, so I am currently in the midst of applying for the Victorian Homebuyers Fund and I thought everything will be ok as it didn't even cross my mind.

But on the Bendigo Bank application they ask if I have ever been bankrupt. So I was bankrupt in 2007, due to a family business situation gone wrong, and dodgy things my mother did to me when I was much younger, and I was discharged in 2010. Sadly I didn't even know I was bankrupt until 1 year into it (as I said, dodgy things my mother did to me when I was younger)

It's no longer on my credit file but I know that it remains on the NPII forever, only found out about this today, I was always told once it's off my credit file I would have no issues in the future (that is what the bankruptcy lawyers told me). So my question is how likely will this make my application unsuccessful? I have had several personal loans paid back in full never missed any payments and have had a credit card with no missed payments ever through NAB.

My credit file is clear and I have a good credit history. I am just not sure if the banks will not even bother looking at it now that I have checked the box because I want to be honest and that now Automatically rules me out? Thanks for any of your help/advice. I am just freaking out and really down now thinking that this is all coming back to haunt me again :(

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It won't automatically rule you out.

3. Aaron83

Aaron83 New Member

So what you are saying that there may still be a chance that they will look at it?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, i don't know their policy but it is possible. The higher the deposit and the longer ago it was the better.