Disappointed at missing sale - dodgy agent?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by MRO, 31st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

A house came on the market on Thursday in the area that i have been looking at. It seemed very cheap, $360k when market price was probably over $400k.

I called my wife straight away and asked her to arrange look at it, same day if possible. The agent was from out of the area and said the earliest he could show her the property was 4.30pm Friday. That was inconvenient time so my wife asked if she could come a bit earlier at 4pm? The agent agreed.

My wife turned up at 4pm and there was another person their writing up an offer, The agent looked a little embarrassed and explained it was a Homeswest house and it would be sold at a fixed price to the first purchaser and we had missed out.

I am a bit annoyed as we asked to get a look earlier and not given the opportunity and also were not told anything about these particular terms. Any sale where the property is sold at a fixed price to the first person is clearly something that would be important to the purchasers.

I am thinking the agent may have delayed us so he could sell it to a friend or relative. I am a bit ****** off and feel like our time has been wasted and something dodgy has happened with this sale. I was going to write an email to the Licensee to let them know my thoughts. However there is not a lot to be gained by this, just need to vent a bit.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I guessing you are right. move on to the next best deal

the Universe was protecting you from something you didnt know................

ta

rolf

3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I feel you pain and Rolf knows about my recent issue with a real estate agent that managed to get another $3k off me for a deal when we agreed on a price the day before and he failed to send the relevant paper work and account details for the trust account.

4. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I've had an agent do a similar thing to me.

Was a best offer by 5pm scenario, and what do you know, I had the highest offer, great...hang on the vendor has found out a friend of the family is interested. Let's tack on a grand to the sold price to make this look legit...

Friend of the family...yeah right.

jins13 likes this.
  5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

100% like that and love it when the agent use the line of 'treating all parties fairly'. What a load of BS but luckily for me my mentality is "You won the battle, but I will win the war". Also, lets say if it actually was true, wouldnt have wanted to lose the property over 3k.

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It sucks, but it's best to have a decent rant, get over it and move on. The longer you dwell on it, the worse off you will be.
    Be positive, something even better is just around the corner.

xornr89 likes this.
  7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

We have all gone through it unfortunately

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My parents once had an auction for their PPOR. Passed in at the highest bid figure. Over the next week they got a contract at a price they were happy with. While this was being negotiated, a second buyer put on a contract for the same price. Agent went to both buyers and said make your best offer, there are two interested buyers and two contracts on the table.

I think (understandably) the second buyer thought it was ruse by the agent. They said they would not go higher and I suspect they thought this would flush out the agent's "lie" about the other buyers.

First buyer got it for the same price offered by both buyers. Second buyer could have increased by even a thousand and got a house they loved. I suspect they thought the agent was lying or "playing them".

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice