Disappearing Witholding Variation File

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by chindonly, 28th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Anyone had this problem?
    Almost finished the above file but had to save and exit before completion.
    Come back a few days later, and the file has gone! Not the first time this has happened.
    Wonder if my virus scan programs are picking it up and removing as a threat??
    Any IT boffins out there? Don't want to keep re-doing all the information each time.

2. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

It saves it in a strange location from memory.

Go back into withholding variation page and attempt to save again, it should take you to the same folder it saved last and you might see your file

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I filled mine in as a hard copy, but that seems a bit old fashioned. But at least it doesn't disappear into thin air.
    Question. I was having my regular taxes and HECS/HELP debt taken out. I decided to pay off the HECS/HELP debt so in March, I lodged a variation to cover the change in circumstance. I had included both the HELP debt and an amount I figured would cover the deductions i'd get from investing in IPs, I put that as a variation of 30k. Since then no taxes have been taken out.
    This has raised questions now that I want to buy another IP!

Anyway, I really hope it gets sorted so the finance gets approved.

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2015
  4. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Tried that - but no luck. As it had happened before, I set up a specific folder for it so I would know where it was kept. Seems crazy that it can just vanish.

5. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

They don't always go smoothly hey.

Mrs put her 2016 in, then her payroll applied it to June 2015 instead of July, which wasn't good because tax rate increased.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The software is a bit fiddly. I find it best to change the default path. And rename it. ie 2016 PAYGV Fred. The file may become invisible if you have hidden file extensions since its not a common extension type. That could be your issue. Try to load the existing file and the correct path and it should be visible even if settings hide some extensions. This feature doesn't operate on opening a file.

The ability to save / load is a bit fiddley. If you cant put the cursor in the TFN field and it goes white you MUST repeat the opening of the eform. It seems to crash and partially load affecting its stability.