Disability Accommodation and Social Impact Funds

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by RPI, 15th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

NDISP gets approached by investment funds of some sort every week, some weeks everyday. The SDA and ethical investing space is definitely more trendy than it was last year.

There are some "interesting" funds out there in this space at moment. Like the one buying a unit site in Ipswich for $2.9m that that is the bowling Green of the former services club that the entire site including building only paid $700k for. Or the ones offering mum retail investors entry in to cheap houses in outer parts of new estates.

NDISP works with a heap of closely held trusts, family offices and a bunch of wholesale funds. We say no to more than we say yes to as there are some "interesting" interpretations on ethical investing or reasonable returns.

One of the group's we work with are amalgamating a heap of above plus their own, plus acquisitions of other properties for an ASX listing in 2025/6. Looks like will be around $2bn in properties under management nationwide.

It's an interesting space that I had some exposure to in law, but now getting to see what people are offering from the inside so you speak is a bit of an eye opener. People.make profits is a good thing, people helping us help people is awesome, but profiteering and not caring about the long term outcome seems to be rife.

2. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Will this fund be all SDA / NDIS Darryl, or is it a mix and more of a different spin on the commercial rent-vest model?

3. RPI

Morning.

We work with somewhere in the 6-10 funds that are purely SDA. Then there are already listed groups or groups that have other listings that are doing SDA as part of mix.

Social Impact Funds is the only one I know of with a mix.

They have now:
    1. SDA with NDISP;
    2. Disabled & Elderly/ accessible holiday accommodation with Step Free Hotels & Holiday Accommodation - also us);

In the pipeline:
    3. Housing for aging in the community (maybe us in the future and multiple other providers (2-6 people in house or units/villas dispersed through community as new subsector) , plus working with stakeholders on accommodation for victims of domestic violence

4. Housing for victims of domestic violence

And will look at anything property related where there is a social impact but never going down the operator/business path

1 & 2 are rolling out quicker and on larger scale because NDISP has the capacity to deliver on large scale across the country so easier for them. The others I know about out of interest but also may get involved with later on.

Being involved in delivering sport, dance etc for kids was really rewarding and always thought it would be one of the best feelings I'd ever get in my life. But I can't even begin to explain how much I love what I do now. Being able to put 20 years of experience into giving someone the best home you can and actually getting to see what that does for someone (something sadly our investors only get to hear about in limited detail, even most of our staff only get to know names and hear my stories) is such a privilege I just can't even begin to explain it. And given why do it largely under the radar it's even better. The SDA roll out is until end of 2025 and there is such a need that occupies all my time, but if there are options to help others then I'll always consider it.

chindonly and geoffw like this.
  4. chindonly

Thanks D. We put an offer in for that other site. No word yet. Most likely going to auction in a couple of weeks.

5. RPI

Hope you get it. Great site. Not seeing many take an offer before auction in the current craziness.

6. chindonly

Yep. We expect to have to go to auction.