Education & Work Diploma in Building Design and/or Interior Design

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 28th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Okay - like many others - at this time of year the mind wanders to unfulfilled dreams and bucket lists. Especially for those getting a little middle-aged :rolleyes:

Two paths that I have always (well - since my teens) wanted to travel were architecture and interior design. To say I've been a little obsessive over the years is an understatement ... but further education in both of these fields is something I didn't follow as, in the days when I finished school, girls became nurses or teachers of secretaries or bank tellers but only the super geeks went to uni ... expectations/mortgage/distance/family simply got in the way.

Now with the plethora of online education, I'm seriously considering picking up again. I started a long distance interior design course nearly 30 years ago, but never finished and dabbled in a short design introduction course at TAFE last year and have nearly 15 major and minor renovations under the belt ... but I don't want to undertake a 4 year architecture course. I am more interested in sustainable housing - underfloor heating/cooling via solar tubes - different forms of insulation - off grid - airflow patterns - alternative building products - grass roofing ... but I am also very keen on the aesthetic throughout.

Looking at Open Colleges - does anyone have any experience, good bad or otherwise? Would this be the best direction? I'd love to do a classroom course but there is nothing remotely local.

Suggestions?

Perthguy and EN710 like this.
  2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Any updates Lizzie?

My better half is looking at starting up interior design with virtu institute to be a member of the Aus institute of design Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration MSF50213 - Virtu Design Institute

Anyone done this course?

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm doing the Open Colleges Interior Design and Decoration course and loving it ... has expanded my knowledge and comfort zone massively ... although .... don't believe them when they say "12 hours a week part time" ... seriously ... 20+ hours

EN710 likes this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Are they, ahem.... reasonable in terms of course fee?

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It was around $7,000 for the entire course - completely online and around 18mths full time, or 30 months part time. There is support from the tutors/assessors, and massive support from the closed group FB student community.

Warning - the course does take you out of your comfort zone, which is really good but scary

EN710 likes this.
  6. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Phd in spoon polishing.

I'm hopeless when it comes to design and decoration. I'd put green with blue. But a formal qualification?? You've either got it, or you don't.

7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

That's the case with 'decoration', but not 'design'. Sure, there is some overlap, but 'interior design' is more architectural and requires an understanding of spatial stuff as well as materials, services and construction. At the end of all that comes the colours and cushions.

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - lots of basic architectural design and spatial awareness, without going into creating building high rise apartments ... it's definitely NOT about placing cushions and giving them a karate chop.

bob shovel and EN710 like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I know plenty of architraves who would be offended at those remarks.

You won't get a fitout approved in a sub-regional shopping centre if it hasn't been designed by an inferior designer.

I have dealt with several working on commercial projects - these designers design all elements of the internal joinery, general arrangements and fitout.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm only 4 modules (out of 18) in - 10 projects out of 30 - and we've already designed, modelled, costed and virtually built/fitted out two self contained studio apartment - an antiques bazar (exploring six different, chosen movements and design eras) - and two versions of a fully self contained, large shopping centre retail/workshop space ...

Last edited: 17th Oct, 2016
    Perthguy, ellejay and EN710 like this.
  11. Kimpossible

Kimpossible New Member

Hi Lizzie
    I made a call about the same course on Friday.
    It's good to hear your feedback about the real hours involved.
    Had you done any design study previously?
    You mentioned in your Op your interest in sustainable architecture and aesthetics, sre you hoping to work for others or to use the knowledge for your ips?

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I had - around 30 years ago - started a snail-mail, text book course that was similar - nearest physical course was a four hour round trip, so that was out - but without internet, or interaction, it was incredibly painful, and virtually impossible, so I didn't continue.

The only other experience is renovating multiple properties, so getting a real feel of what is functional and aesthetically comfortable

... and ... at nearly 50 I don't know whether I'll actually use the course for anything other than my own renovations (one house ever 2-4 years) ... might start flipping when hubby retires ;)

Last edited: 18th Oct, 2016
    EN710 likes this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't blame you. I think I'd flip if we were both at home retired ;-)

Lizzie and Scott No Mates like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My +1 has had enough of her flippin' other half ;)

Lizzie likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I am somewhat dreading when hubby retires as he has no hobbies or interests - weekends are usually enough as it is ... might do another thread on men finding their "purpose" when they retire.

As for the course - current assignment is all about OH&S, scheduling and maintenance - definitely not cushion chopping ... finding it hard not to procrastinate as OH&S is sooooo boring

Kimpossible likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia