Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Difficulty getting property manager to get multiple quotes

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by FrivolousPanda, 2nd Oct, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Member

Hi all,

Does anyone have good ideas on instructing a PM to get multiple quotes for repairs? I've asked multiple times and they keep pushing back with various reasons. I suspect they preferred contractors so don't want to organising time getting extra quotes. My concern is I'm trusting their quotes are competitive and good value.

Maybe get them to use hipages or service seeking?

Thanks. Previously on SS and good to see the forum is still going strong.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't tolerate this.... either get a new PM, or
    Alternatively phone the Principal of the company and complain. Who cares why? you are the client

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2016
  3. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

What level job is it is the important question here.

If it's a $200 Handyman job they're not going to waste their time quoting on it. May as well just do the job while there.

If its a $2k job, like replacing a HWS or painting then sure. After you've organised a few of them though you have a pretty good idea which ones going to win.

mr500, Ed Barton and Joynz like this.
  4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Agree with DT.

What sort of work are you looking to get done?

Cheers

Jamie

5. Chris White

Chris White BUYERS AGENTS & PROPERTY MANAGERS Business Member

I agree with the comments above. It also depends on the nature of the work required, for example if the tenant is without hot water or an oven or there is an unsafe situation, the PM should have it attended to asap and use reliable tradesmen that they know provide a good service at a competitive price.

If the PM is organizing renovations or work that can wait then of course its prudent for them to arrange a few quotes. This also keeps the trades on their toes and enables the PM to keep up to date with pricing and not just take it for granted that their regular trades will always provide competitive prices.

I always test prices just to keep everyone honest.

Its always a matter of balancing price, quality of work and reliability of the trades.

6. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Its a really hard one !
    There are 2 sides to the whole get me a quote first situation .
    On one side the tradie doesnt want to individually quote 10 items(thinking they will make a bit on each item ) to then have the customer only want a couple of the items done.
    On the other side it does hold them more accountable .
    Another issue i have found is property managers sending a trademan out for a small job worth around $50 and having the tradie/handyman charge $110 minimum charge for it ,rather than waiting for a few non urgent items to be done at once .I recently had this with a door that needed a couple of new screws in the hinges and requested the agent to wait till another one of their houses nearby needed work so we could split the minimum costs .
    To which she said ok yes i guess i can do that ???!!!

7. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

A slightly different tack,
    experienced not too long ago, realised that the PM didn't have a good professional relationship with any Tradesperson.
    20 20 hindsight, should have given them the flick earlier!

8. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Member

Thanks all for your guidance. The jobs required have been on the small side <$500 each such as replacing bathroom exhaust fan, light bulb frequently fusing, replace a few panels of hardifence, leaking taps etc.

With the properties in Perth and it having a reputation for marked up prices, I am weary of being quoted inflated prices; especially given the poor rental market at the moment applying pressure on cash flow. Overall it's not nominally a large amount for each job, but it does add up over multiple jobs and could be a large percentage markup.

I understand it would be better for everyone if small jobs are completed at inspection due to the high fixed cost of getting to the site etc. I guess it comes down to trusting my PM's judgement and relationship with tradesmen/women that they are providing a competitive quote by also giving them the savings of fixing it straight away rather than having to return another day.

fullylucky likes this.
  9. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Member

In most cases a PM establishes pretty quickly who is the best/cheapest/quickest tradesperson to use and the PM invariably uses this tradesperson to carry out the majority of the work for the PM's portfolio. If an owner seeks a second quote then it would be in the PM's best interest to organize this so that the owner can see why the PM asked the quote of the preferred tradesperson first.

10. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

Hi FrivolousPanda, in your mind you might think the PM is taking "kickbacks" by making major profit by pass it on to "their" tradie in their pocket, truth is PM's don't get anything in refering these jobs. They pick contracts that do the best quality work for a reasonable price.

If you get 10 quotes and pick the cheapest that doesn't mean it's the best, the quality of their work is probably shocking and instead of lasting years the same issue will crop up again and you will need to get another contractor to fix it which is more expensive.

Best to just let the PM choose the ones they know are good from experience. A lot of the time the commission you are paying the PM is for "this knowledge".

The reason why getting 3 quotes is painful is because it takes alot of time for the PM, the PM manages alot of properties not just yours, they can't be calling and waiting at the property for the contracts to look at it and give a quote. At the same time alot of contracts don't have time to go out and inspect and give a quote, with a chance they won't get selected, just a waste of time for everyone. Contacts just want to go in and do the job and get paid not muck around.

If you force Pms to get 3 useless quotes just for the sake of satisfying your trust issue here is what you are actually doing:

1. Wasting PMs time and energy, time and energy they could be used to better manage your property. The time and costs have to come from somewhere, resources are finite.

2. The Pms can just get 2 quotes and then ask their trusted contractor who they know will do a better job, to undercut the two previous quotes slighty.

Sorry for disagreeing with everyone else but that's the truth.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4th Oct, 2016
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Epiphany.

12. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Member

Also, especially for smaller jobs, it would be more costly for an owner who insists on a quote because the tradesperson would factor in the time it takes to inspect the work then compile the quote and then to re-attend to complete the work once the quote has been approved.