Difference between property spruiker & buyer's agent.

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Songo, 11th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

Chris do/would you pass on the developer kickbacks if you buy from a developer for a client

2. Chris White

Chris White Well-Known Member

I dont buy from developers as a rule. Just deal in 2nd hand properties.

Maybe thats the best way to avoid a spruiker. Dont buy OTP or brand new properties.

You would at least save money. Like buying a brand new car, the minute you drive out of the showroom you have lost money.

This thread is probably best answered by those who have been stung by as spruiker.

I would be interested in some stories.

Bryan Loughnan likes this.
  3. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

A spruiker will attempt to put lipstick on a pig a BA will avoid the pigs (hopefully)
    [​IMG]

4. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Another definition is the type of property they recommend for people (generally) as opposed to a particular buyer with particular circumstances. They may be knowledgeable but can be dangerous if they promote their narrow view as a universal truth.

A spruiker will recommend X type of property for just about anyone, will talk up the market for X type of property and will question the investment decisions of those why buy Y type of property. They will have a high media profile, which increases their personal brand and increases demand for their services. They may even be sufficiently influential to contribute to market sentiment.

The smartest of this group come across as respectable by using cultural cues to differentiate themselves from 'common' spruikers and deftly exploit media (eg the ABC) favoured by their target educated high-income demographic.

While better than OTP floggers, I would put Monique Wakelin , due to her dismissal of anything much over 10km from a CBD, and propensity to over-generalise to a high-income, over-trusting but naive broadcast audience, as being about 50% spruiker and 50% BA.

5. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Would you tell a friend that they might be dealing with a spruiker? I have some friends that might be in that position. It is hard because they might think I want to patronising them or I am not supportive...:confused: