Health & Family Diets Don't Work

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 28th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

@WattleIdo ....great, whatever works for you, at the end of the day its about choices

MTR

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ditto

@Marg4000
    but I know I can't blame my age I have just been having too much of a good time..lol

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Cool. All good MTR. By the looks of your avatar you're getting younger every day. And you could do with a glass of wine! Go girl :p.

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

lol, sadly no wine today, too many calories damn it, I only drink on weekend and no more than 2 glasses

5. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I almost joined but knew when it started that I wasn't mentally there to give it a real go. I am in a better head space now and will join the next challenge. The road bike is now set up on the wind trainer the next step is getting on it!

Kesse and 158 like this.
  6. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

I agree completely with calorie tracking. You start to make healthier choices when you see exactly how many calories are in your food choices. It's also amazing the amount of food you don't even realise you are eating - eating without thinking. This combined with cardio and regular weights training has always worked for me. It takes a bit of discipline initially to build into your daily routine but once you have you realise how much healthier you feel and want to keep going.

Mick Butterfield and MTR like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this, I started tracking 2 weeks ago, absolutely everything I eat, its made a massive difference.

I have changed my diet and basically eating in the main lots of vegies and perhaps 2 fruits per day and more protein, still have carbs but cut back significantly. I don't feel like I am suffering, still go out for dinners, once again mindful of what I am eating. Wine perhaps 3 glasses per week now, that's improved budget no end.:)

Also, I only weight myself once a week, there was a time I was weighing daily, big mistake, this can sabotage everything.

Also have to be in the right mind space as OP mentioned, otherwise no point to it

MTR:)

Perthguy and Magnet like this.
  8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's not the insulin, stupid, it's all in the guts!

Catalyst - Special Edition - Gut Reaction
    Catalyst: Gut Reaction Pt 1 - ABC TV Science
    Catalyst: Gut Reaction Pt 2 - ABC TV Science

This info is what is missing from the Tuit tutorial:-

I also want to start with it because it is probably the zillion-dollar question in all of human metabolism in our current dietary & cultural zeitgeist. Upon consuming the same diet—the same number of calories, possibly the same macronutrient ratios—and maybe even having the same degree of hyperinsulinemia/insulin resistance, why do only some people get fat?

And here, my friends, is my zillion-dollar answer:

I don’t know.​

According to the gut theory, the answer could well be intestinal bacteria.

Professor Stephen Simpson
    There's a famous experiment. They took what's called an ob/ob mouse strain, which is a strain of mouse that's genetically predisposed to obesity, rendered it free of bacteria...

NARRATION
    Then they gave these mice new gut bacteria from thin mice. Incredibly, they now tended to stay thin. Gut bacteria could be helping to make the modern world fat. Back in the day, obesity was a rarer thing. There could have been better gut bugs then as a result of eating less processed food - in other words less sugar, fat and more fibre. That's a stark contrast to the modern world. But there's good news if you're overweight. Your gut bacteria community can be altered.
    This has been trialled on humans and the results were the same. Sounds great! But there is a catch. Eat healthy food and you encourage good bacteria to grow, keeping you healthy. Eat junk food and you encourage bad bacteria to grow, which could cause you to get fat again and also cause other health problems.

WattleIdo, Phase2 and MTR like this.
  10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Gut microbes, Sleep, Healthy fats, Cortisol and thier effects on weight are all interesting reading

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, once you are aware of it it becomes second nature and you can get an idea of what is good and what is bad without counting all the time.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Went out for dinner last night, making some good choices, Japanese, very nice, Sashmi, miso soup, seaweed salad, delic and very low in calories... a glass of white wine.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Just add some kaarage chicken and you've got a balanced meal ;)

MTR likes this.
  14. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I got on the bike. I have the sore bottom as a reminder!

MTR likes this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

The bike is the best!
    Just had my 1st small ride in about 2 weeks, missed it a lot.

16. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Agree - I really wanted to take it off the wind trainer and head out on the road for a real ride.
    I have mapped out a short 12km route which I can ride on my other bike. It has been a long time since I regularly rode 20-40km a day and I knee / back problems that I need to nurse at the moment which means very slow baby steps.
    If I lose 12kg by Christmas - Santa is going to buy me a shiny new bike!

MTR likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

nice:)

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

interesting, weight watchers has stood the test of time.

a balanced approach, nothing is off limits, but balance, worth a look at their program, not a diet, more about changing lifestyle, moderation

19. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I don't allow refined crap food to enter my home - although we do enjoy some things while we are out.
    We follow a basic Mediterranean diet - very high fat and lots of olive oil, we buy it in 25kg tubs - forget those spray things lol they are not for wogs.

Basic diet is meat and vegetables.
    Basic aim is to eat nutrient dense food that will keep energy levels up.
    I don't ever over eat - stop when full.

Ive counted calories once at uni using a calirometer - we actually burned food to count the amount of heat energy "calories" in it, it's actually measured in Kilo calories society has it wrong. But the counting ended there.

The aim of a good diet is to be healthy.

Perthguy and MTR like this.
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's what I like about riding the bike, low impact, good for rehabbing from injuries.
    1km is a good start.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia