Did your kids ruin you chances of financial success ?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Ace in the Hole, 30th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Actually society would not function very long without people having kids, it would collapse pretty quickly. Say goodbye to your property portfolio as cities contract, properties are abandoned & outer suburbs become urban wastelands. Actually people without kids are getting a bit of a free ride, there should be more tax breaks for people with kids (not welfare, tax deductions). e.g. more child care expenses should be tax deductible.

astinus4 likes this.
  2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I hear you. Recently I had once in a lifetime crisis that could have lead losing everything. At that lowest point I had a clarity about what matters, and it's not being able to go to a concert, or buying consumer **** or otherwise faffing around. It's family, health and experiences. I'll never forget it. Net result, I'm changing my plans. 5 years more work and I'm done. ...if that.

3. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I can only imagine if I ever get into a lifetime crisis situation, the last thing on my mind would be wishing I worked more 100 hour weeks, or made a couple more million. Family and health are the utmost importance.

4. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

People make the decision to have children so the question should be - Did you run your chances of financial success ;)

Ruin though - seriously? This is a little like - does eating detract from your financial freedom?

You decide to have children, you accept the financial commitment that comes with it.

5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Lol how ridiculous. Breeders getting even more tax breaks, furthering how much more childless couples pay in tax compared to breeders.... Even though its the breeders that use the tax funded public services to a much greater extent than the childless. Sure that sounds fair...

'Won't someone please think of the childless?': Senator David Leyonhjelm says childless Australians should be praised | smh.com.au

You probably wont watch the video of the minister addressing parliament about childless couples. But he says it better than I could.

I was just joking around. But there is a very real grain of truth to what I wrote.

Your idea that people are doing the world a favour by having kids may need a broader perspective than simply looking at the impact on your property portfolio.

What did Minchin say? If you really care about reducing your carbon footprint then forget getting rid of the 4x4, trade your kid in for a prius instead.

Lenny likes this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Big plus if your out and don't like the people there or need an excuse to get away from someone! Just play with your kids. I'm often found chasing my kids so they let me play with them!:oops:

Tim86 likes this.
  7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion :)

My plan is simple:
    1. Never need to work again
    2. Consider kids

SirDingo likes this.
  8. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

breeders! seriously???
    like .. seriously?

sanj and Ouga like this.
  9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Lol had a gay mate that used to call all heterosexuals breeders.

I find it hilarious that I made you of all people incredulous.

SirDingo likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right, Back to the original question -

No did not ruin chances of financial success, in fact has made me far more focused.

Not all good though because I have placed additional pressure on myself, keep raising the bar, but I cant help it.... that's my excuse and I am sticking to it:)

Westminster likes this.
  11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

The only reason I had kids is for someone to look after me when I am old and depraved.

I am 60 and they aren't here. Do I need to become older or more depraved?

Westminster likes this.
  12. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Put your underwear on over your pants before going out and they'll come running.

kierank likes this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

You sure they're not running away?

kierank and Barny like this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

That is exactly what happened and they ended up 1,700kms away.

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

For me, I allowed my husband to make bad decisions. Wanting to have children was a decision I made even before I had them. Children require a sacrifice that I would happily do over on any "Groundhog Day".

16. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

I am 28 and don't want kids. Ever. I plan to get a vasectomy in the next couple of years. It is an ongoing discussion with my girlfriend and it will make or break our relationship.

One of my reasons is that my goal, hobby and dream is to achieve financial success through building. It is my passion. I just don't see a future where having kids for me is a good idea and I feel no urge to procreate or start a family.

Also, I just plain old don't like kids. I don't like my sisters kids, I don't like my friends kids, and I don't like kids out in public. I struggle to make conversation with them, don't know how to play with them and just generally feel awkward around them and watch the clock and count down the minutes to where I can leave.

Just my personal preference. Before anyone asks, I had a great childhood with 2 sisters and a loving family.

alexm and sanj like this.
  17. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

So when are you having kids?

mrdobalina likes this.
  18. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Honesty is the best policy. If you don't like them, don't have them.

19. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

Not always.

I constantly lie to my sister by telling her how cute I think her kids are. It is just easier that way.

Vultures, radson and Westminster like this.