Did you take kids to your property inspection before?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by 212, 7th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

My teenage son this afternoon was showing one of his friends a video of US debt and trying to explain to him deflation of fiat currency and why you can't rely on it as a long term saving strategy. He then went into investing, property, precious metals, things that hedge against inflation.

That is why I love taking my kids with me that was as a result of one of my seminars that he went to.

2. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I don't have kids but my sister does. We spoke the other day about being younger (we are only 11 months apart); and fond memories of being taken to open homes with our parents.

I'd take my kids to new IP purchase inspections (if I had any!)

Xenia likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

When people bring kids to open homes for sale, they are generally a pain in the backside, if your kids are well behaved and you watch them like a hawk, well, ok, but really, do you need to take them? Maybe on a second or final to show them a new home, but on a first.....actually they annoy other prospective buyers too, in fact, I dislike open homes & most agents and parents do not control the children.

In regard to a tenanted inspection, if I was the PM, I would think less of anyone who did this, the house is not you or your childrens play thing, it is someones home, there is absolutely no reason for your children to be waltzing through the tenants home, none at all, not even many reasons for owner to attend if PM does a good job.

What do your children have to do with what is a business transaction that needs respect from both sides ?

wylie and WattleIdo like this.
  4. dabbler

Why ? you don't think a open for a sale is someones private home, can you see the irony here ?

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Completely agree with this in regards to a tenanted property. It would be very disrespectful to the tenant and might come across as boasting, classism, etc. Also agree that the landlord is rarely required if there is a PM unless there has been work done recently.
    Let children be children. You're already setting a good example and do not control what and how they pick things up. Demonstrating respect for your tenants will go a long way.

wylie and HUGH72 like this.
  6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

That's great Xenia, how old are your kids?
    We are reaching the point where we need to broaden our kids knowledge base in this area.
    I had effectively none at 18 while my wife's parents were always keen old school property investors. They always bought one and paid it off super fast then moved on to the next or often saved and paid cash.

Xenia likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Mine are 13, 12 and 8. It's usually the younger 2 that come with me, they have always had a choice to attend or stay home with grandparents in the holidays.

I actually love taking them with me and they love being there (most of the time :))

8. dabbler

Do you mean to inspections ?

9. herenow

herenow Well-Known Member

In an open for sale, it's open invite. Anyone can attend.

I agree that it seems disrespectful to take children to a periodic inspection of a rental. If you do, hopefully the tenants won't be home.

legallyblonde, wylie and D.T. like this.
  10. dabbler

it is also someones home if not vacant, and as a seller, it is never an open invitation for others to do what they want in the home from my view, it is for serious buyers to check if the home is suitable, not for you to drag the kids through just for a sticky beak......

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I suppose it would be a no no to take my dogs, they are model dogs, they behave very well especially if given treats...he he... :p

Seriously I think its great to take your children along, they get to see what you do. Most people understand that working mums don't always actually have a choice.

Xenia likes this.
  12. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Seriously dude... *shakes head* I know you're joking, but...

At the open for inspection of our current ppor, there was a couple there; she brought her little dog along, he plucked a mandarin off "our" tree and ate it while walking through the house. :rolleyes:

Having said that, when selling a property I'd be ok with kids/dogs/whatever. I think it's a risk you take (which I think is why many vendors ask for shoes to be removed at the door; hey I might ask the same for pets), that sticky beaks will traipse through the home.

Last edited: 8th Dec, 2015
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Are you kidding, I would never take dogs to home inspections/opens, they are very naughty and its just not appropriate IMO, that was a BIG FAT JOKE.

Xenia and BigKahuna like this.
  14. SerenityNow

Haha - I know it was a big joke for you... But not for me, sadly :eek:

And this was in a "nice" inner south-east suburb too... :rolleyes: I was more grumpy about the guy "stealing" a mandarin from "my" tree and eating it through the house though. Overall, just so inappropriate and inconsiderate.

BigKahuna and MTR like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That's just rude. Did you end up selling the property?

16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

That actually is rude to just take someone else's fruit without asking.

However one of the great things about inspections is the interaction with people, I often get given fruit from trees and chocolate and love leaving chocolate too for good tenants.

Rixter likes this.
  17. SerenityNow

Nope, we were looking to buy it. So technically, it wasn't "my" tree yet, but I knew it would be ;) I'm also a clean-freak in some ways, and I hated the thought of the guy dripping mandarin juices throughout the house (I'm sure he didn't.... o_O).

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You have same disease as me ... clean freak:)

Xenia likes this.
  19. SerenityNow

We-ell. I tend to think our condition is pretty normal. Other people don't agree :(o_O

Xenia likes this.
  20. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

me too - but with 3 children, I just have to get over it sometimes.