Did you sell your last IP through the same agency as your property manager, or a different agency?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by skyfall, 20th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Did you sell your last IP through the same agency as your property manager, or another agency?

1. yes, I sold through the same agency

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. no, I sold through a different agency

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I sold it privately

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

I will be listing an inv property for sale later this year and I'm trying to decide whether to use a selling agent from within the same agency as my property manager, or use a completely different agent. My PM is based in St Kilda but I want to sell a tenanted house in Brunswick.

Not sure if my current agency deserves any loyalty and I should use him for the sale, or if I'm better off using a local agent in Brunswick who probably knows the market better and has a database of buyers looking in the area.

To me it seems a straight forward process to sell: commence a 4 week advertising campaign using realestate.com.au and Domain, print some flyers, hold 8-10 open for inspections, then schedule an auction at the end of the 4 weeks.

I'm not sure a local agent can do the job any better than my St Kilda agent but I don't want to put him offside because they still manage other properties for me and might start acting passive aggressive about not getting the listing.

I also want to sell a unit in St Kilda and I'm also not sure if I should use the sales agent in the same agency as my PM, or list it with the best agent I can find who works the area.

Does anyone feel obliged to sell through the same agent as the one who manages their IPs?

Last edited: 20th Mar, 2021
  2. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I sold my last property tenanted and with the same agency. I’d had heaps of problems prior to selling with the PM department. The problems continued for several months after listing. The agent did help me to get stuff sorted with the PM side. I could have gotten mates rates and quite a discount using a different agency. I was happy with the end result with the agent I chose although I wouldn’t hesitate to use a different agency to who is managing the property.

skyfall likes this.
  3. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about the same. I will be selling some IPs in the next 2 years. Since my PMs have not been exceptional in their services - they are just average, I will be hesitant to give them the selling jobs. Some friends also said the same, don't give loyalty to the PM but go for someone who sells well in the area.

skyfall likes this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

They did well. Sold it to me, managed the rental and then sold it again :)

skyfall likes this.
  5. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

No, my agent was a dud, I only bought of them . He would accept ridiculous bids and not have minimum bids. Buggered if I know why any-one used him. He only attracted vendors with very low price range crappy property that no-one else wanted to sell. He was near broke after runnng the business he bought into the ground. Just had to make a sale so he could pay the staff so they wouldnt bugger just like the clients did.

skyfall likes this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I had PM vacate IP and then went to another agent to sell. He offered a better commission and had a gung ho salesman who worked after hours to get a sale.

skyfall likes this.
  7. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, I think I will also go with an outside agent when I decide to sell.