Did you know ...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by balwoges, 10th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

1. A friend returned from a group tour of China recently, all were finger printed on arrival in China ... she was shocked and angry she was not made aware before the trip ... did you know?

2. Cruise ships are being cut in half and having a middle extension added to extend the length of the ship to accommodate more passengers ... would you travel in a ship that had been cut in half and put back together again?
    Photos: Cruise Ship Cut in Half, 'Stretched' in Italy – gCaptain

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Tell her not to travel to the USA then!

Ships are not constructed from a single piece of metal - they are welded together from sheets. It is even quite common for a ship to be built in sections - sometimes in different locations - and then brought together and "assembled". Provided the extension is welded in place correctly and structural integrity is maintained, it should be no less safe than when originally built.

3. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I did not know that.

This wouldn't bother me. So long as the welds are done properly and the structural integrity is there to maintain the air inside the hull (ie no leaks that can't be bilge pumped out) and thus keep buoyancy then there really is no issue.

4. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

Their Country, their rules.

Dean Collins likes this.
  5. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Getting finger printed on arrival is standard immigration procedure in many countries now. I just had it done in Cambodia, Philippines and Thailand. No big deal.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Jordan and UAE use iris scans on arrival - and iris scans can also be used in place of a PIN at some banks

Toon likes this.
  7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We were in China 5 years ago, can’t remember being fingerprinted.
    We were fingerprinted entering the USA in 2017, but had been told beforehand so not surprised.

8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Years ago I heard a great story when I went to Cockatoo Island - Sydney Harbour.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cockatoo+island&rlz=1C1ASUM_en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiIs-y876nmAhUl73MBHetrD38Q_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=1793&bih=928#imgrc=McY2_R_h-oLjWM:

For a long time they built ships there and it still has a couple of dry docks and other stuff. During WW2, a US battle ship had its bow blown off up in the Coral Sea, I think. It steamed backwards all the way to Sydney where a temporary bow was fitted at Cockatoo Island. Then it went to Hawaii to have a proper bow fitted and was sent back into the war in the Pacific.

Dan Donoghue and willair like this.
  9. geoffw

But when the bow breaks, the cradle will fall.

Jacque, Codie, Gockie and 3 others like this.
  10. geoffw

Of course, Australia also collects biometric data. Photos (and I think fingerprints) are collected upon entry into Australia.

Biometric data collection is becoming increasingly a part of our society now, and it's not restricted to countries.

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

1. Japan has been fingerprinting non-citizens for years now, must be 10+ and Thailand has introduced it too within the past year.
    It will just get more common I think.

i heard of a senior exec who went to China, on a holiday, and they took his phone away, then brought it back. I said they probably copied it and inserted spyware.

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would not have a problem with the Cruise Ships and the re-fits and the way they are built ..

With entry to several countries on visa system's the US would be one of the most costly and up too 20 weeks to obtain a special business entry visa ,even then every-time while in the entry que 2 people always come and take me in a different secure with several others from different countries and there are always Australian within that room who may not understand what the word ''EVER'' means ..
    That's why i like Amsterdam and Queenstown NZ ,Amsterdam no visa control you just walk pass about 12 fully-armed airport staff and out too the hotels shuttle bus in the carpark..
    Queenstown has visa control but is the same only less guns ..

13. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

This sort of thing has been going on for more than 100 years. In WW1 HMS Zubian was a destroyer made out of the front half of HMS Zulu and the back half of HMS Nubian. Nubian's bow had been destroyed by a torpedo while Zulu stern had been destroyed by a mine.
    HMS Zubian - Wikipedia

Kelvin Cunnington likes this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

That should be in the first world problems thread

Kelvin Cunnington likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

On the scale of earth shattering experiences, I don't think the end of the world is nigh :D:p

ellejay and balwoges like this.
  16. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

It was one of my mother's sayings, she had a lot that were pertinent to a situation ... :)

Sackie likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@datto'd know a thing or two about picking up a couple of written off VN Commodores and doing a 'cut & shut' on the two halves. No-one would ever know.

upload_2019-12-10_18-2-58.png

Toon, Piston_Broke, datto and 2 others like this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We got new Oz passports earlier this year. The person at the post office had to shove the camera right in our faces, unlike ten years ago they stood a few metres away.

19. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

most country do it, just you dont know they are taking biometric data if you.

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In @Angel's case, it was close enough for a DNA sample too. :eek: