SA Did you hire a building inspector?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Geminithinker, 1st Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Geminithinker

Geminithinker Member

We live interstate and are unable to inspect a house we want to place an offer on in person. Based on the 3D view provided by the agent we can see some plaster work needs to be done. Have you ever placed an offer subject to a building inspector visiting?

2. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

(I've not transacted for a while so someone please confirm)

In SA you have a 3 day cooling off period with no penalty, so you can get the building inspection done in that time and make your decision with no need to include it as a clause.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That’s a very standard clause added to the contract.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

All you need to do is add a clause that it's subject to inspection. Speak to your lawyer.

Cousinit likes this.
  5. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Having purchased recently in SA and had an inspection done during the cooling off it certainly puts the pressure on the inspection service to get the job done. In our case there was not much time to make a decision to proceed or not. Just the way it is over there I guess.

Geminithinker likes this.
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

I've bought with and without an inspection clause, for the latter just ensuring an inspection happens during the cooling off period.

3 business days is typically plenty of time to arrange it and make a decision to proceed, but not sure how COVID restrictions may be impacting service levels.

I have used these guys 3 times and they're great. They arrange an inspection time with the agent for the next business day and I receive a comprehensive phone walk through and written report: HomeMasters Building Inspections Adelaide.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

In Vic, my preferred way is to get the inspection done then put in a offer based on the estimated costs to fix etc.

However, may not work in a hot market.

The Y-man

8. Geminithinker

Geminithinker Member

Do
    Do you usually ask them to inspect it before you place a bid So you can possibly adjust for any works that need to be done? Or just don't go ahead if there are any issues during cooling off?

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  9. sydney sid

sydney sid Well-Known Member

I recently bought in NSW in a crazy market like everywhere i guess. Listings in the week, open house on the Saturday of that week, offers in and sold by Monday, so no time for building and pest report. I signed the contract on the Tuesday and had to pay i think about 0.25% holding deposit and then had a 5 day cooling off period (which i understand you can request an extension through your conveyancer), so enough time for the report and bank valuation before i had to pay the 10% deposit to the real estate agent. I realise not relevant in your case, Geminithinker, but several open homes i went to had that system where you pay from memory about $45 to view the building report that was already done and the successful buyer would then pay an extra $450. I thought that was a good idea. I wouldn't worry about a biased report, i got the impression from doing a few before i finally bought that they're all pretty independent and ethical.

ozinvestor, wylie and Geminithinker like this.
  10. Geminithinker

Geminithinker Member

I might check with the agent tomorrow if an inspection has been organised. Thanks for the tip :)

ozinvestor likes this.
  11. sydney sid

sydney sid Well-Known Member

I think the main things are structural issues. It's a shame you can't poke around under the house and check for evidence of moisture in the roof or softness in the timber from white ants or borers or rising damp, or cracks in concrete if at all relevant that might indicate concrete cancer, not that i'd really know what to look for. Plastering itself is minor, but it might indicate moisture or rising damp that may rot structural timber. I would ask the agent of any structural work (like weight bearing supports), if the roof cavity needs work to be done, evidence of timber eating bugs, concrete cancer if at all relevant or even just a general structural opinion. I don't think replacing the actual roof is an issue and if it's metal, they often rust and need replacing for not too much. I could be wrong and i'd like others to comment on this, but i don't think they're allowed to be dishonest about it. But maybe they don't have to know. But i think if it's a house that ticks all your boxes and you'd love to live in it for many many years, i think you'll be fine in making an offer and then having the time to get a building and pest report before you're committed to buy it and paying the 10% deposit. And so everything i've said above may be not that relevant, except for paying the 0.25% holding deposit i guess. They're quite thorough and generally say what needs to be done as major or minor and if it's typical, bad or good for a house of that age. You'll then speak to the inspector on the phone and ask whatever you wish and they'll talk to you for as long as you wish. Don't expect a perfect report and don't get put off by it unless it's major. I got the impression they never are for an older house. And yes that would be a bonus if there's one already done. Good luck.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

No. I'd rather pay for the inspection once I have a contract locked in with the seller. If there were any significant problems that stemmed from the inspection I would withdraw from the contract and renegotiate (haven't needed to do that yet).

13. ozinvestor

ozinvestor Member

Great Idea :cool:

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

No, never. In fact we often don't even get a report if it's a local purchase, as Hubby's from the building industry. Same with pest reports since we found a large termite nest in one that had been declared termite free. We just thoroughly give it a go over ourselves.

In the current market you probably wouldn't be able to adjust prices too much with a bad report, just because it's hot, but we did buy, years ago, in a regional area & building report came back with around $10k worth of plumbing that had to be done. We simply reduced our offer by $10k, and after it settled called a plumber & the work came in under $1k. Tip.....builders are not plumbers.