Did APRA work??

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 23rd Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not at all. Business as usual for me. The upside is that properties are a lot more affordable in Perth. Rents also going up in some areas. One of mine is up for renewal next month. Rent is going up. Happy days!

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think it is just starting, there is always changes, so now just change what were doing ..... until th e next fork comes along.....

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

its a tsunami...... most wont realise this until they get stuck with around 40% tacked onto those IO loans. Imagine those holding 3 + IPs, i see lots of pain.

Fire sale is one option

Cheryl and mickyyyy like this.
  4. dabbler

Well that all depends, if you bought them all in Sydney or Mel in later boom time, then your going to have a prob if they are all at 2 or 3 % with no prospects of changing.

I have some loans with couple of years to run, and am going to convert early, the thing is, I always looked at return, and most were doing a high yield and that has only increased, as there was scope for it to increase, it is a bit of a pain in that equity cannot be used well atm, but that will change over time.

If we have to sell, which is possible, it wont matter much, as was always intending to do some selling, but it will be irritating if we cannot go and buy others after selling though, so prob depends on where and what the markets doing.

One thing that I know, is things ebb and flow.....as long as we can eat and have a home to live in, all is good.

Natedog likes this.
  5. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

Agreed! I've seen my borrowing capacity drop over the last 3yrs and my income has gone up. Ppl who maxed out borrowing capacity prior to 2015 will have problems soon unless really high yeilding, paid down loan or big cash buffers.

Makes me wonder if Brisbane will boom in general or just specific areas...

MTR likes this.
  6. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

Know friends who borrowed 8 to 10 times income in Sydney, property yielding gross 3 percent

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ouch.... taking profits off the table is a good risk management strategy... What goes up, comes down

8. Duck1234

I guess the sunk cost is too high for them

9. dabbler

Yuck....hope they dont have too many....

10. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

They could just sell?

Think about it, if you bought in 2013 to 2014 in Sydney, you made a pretty good gain, come 2019 to 2020 & we are down 15%. You sell when you can't afford the repayments and you've still made a fine gain.

11. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

I'm referencing 2019 to 2020 when the big switchover happens.

Terry_w likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes I did
    Must sell prior to peak though
    I sold in 2016 a tad early

13. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

No I am getting at simple maths here:

• Let say buys in 2013 for $1 million
    • 2018 it is worth $2 million
    • 2019 loan becomes interest only & can't meet repayments
    • 2019 market has reduced by 15% from 2018, your property is now worth $1.7 million
    • You sell=you still made $700,000 in 5 years
    Voila.

Perthguy, Terry_w and MTR like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes i get your point
    Dependent on whether you can sell, sometimes its not that easy, all about your product and suburb etc

15. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

So property doubles every 5 years now ?

Wait till the bears see this!

16. Duck1234

not trying to be a bear. But lets see if it doubles from here in 7 years. The higher it is, the harder it is to double.

17. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

Nyet comrade, was a simplistic example to get the point across-if the maths was too difficult less people would read.

18. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

There are many people who are holding 10+ properties and still sailing through safely, without pain. It's all bout how the mix of the portfolio is.

MTR likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agreed

20. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Yes, if their portfolios are mature, so the mature rents allow for the P&I migration
    Or if they have paid down debt as they went along ( windfalls, lottery, inheritance) so their cash flows allow for P&I migration
    Or if they have very high incomes and can manage the P&I migration in spite of low yields and having paid off no debt.

But for anyone who has less mature portfolio's with lower yields, hasn't had some form of windfall, hasnt been actively reducing debt and doesn't have a lot of surplus cash flow from salary.... the migration to P&I may bring real cash flow pressures

if they are forced to sell and have been fortunate enough to enjoy real profits, they still walk away with some cash in their pockets, which ( if they are smart) they will use to reduce PPOR debt or any other non income producing, non deductible debt ( car loans, personal loans, HELP debt, credit cards) or in the absence of any such debt, pay down INV debt ....

if they are forced to sell and havent made any profits.... it may just be case of walking away and being grateful you havent taken a huge loss...

if they are forced to sell at a loss..... well, thats just sad and hopefully there arent too many of these people