Entertainment & Music Did anybody see The Queen of Versailles doco?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wylie, 26th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I just watched The Queen of Versailles documentary which was a fascinating story that started as a documentary about a decadent (30 bathroom???) house being built by a timeshare businessman, but during filming the GFC hit and it turned into something even more fascinating to watch.

I won't spoil it for any who might want to watch. It was on Foxtel this past day or so.

This is the Wiki link to it -

The Queen of Versailles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MTR, Kate Moloney and Bran like this.
  2. wylie

3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Yeah watching credit markets tighten up like that is scary. Family was a freaking mess too.

Kate Moloney likes this.
  4. Matt E

Matt E Active Member

Brilliant documentary though - almost like watching a train wreck given the family's dysfunctional issues. Great evidence that money doesn't buy class...

wylie likes this.
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Will check it out.

Kate Moloney likes this.
  6. House

House Well-Known Member

Here's the full doco

Kate Moloney and WattleIdo like this.
  7. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Maybe you can give them some renovating tips!

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Wylie

I found this fascinating, not what I expected at all.

They got caught up with the sub prime fiasco, have you seen "the Big Short"??

I actually thought I would hate these people, but quite the opposite.

No spoilers here, however sad to read that their 18 year old daughter actually died of an overdose last year, she got hooked onto prescription drugs.

Kate Moloney likes this.
  9. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Yes very interesting and quite sad how the daughter passed on.

Interesting family dynamics and fascinating to watch their relationship with money and toys.

MTR likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

She has beauty and brains, amazing perhaps that is why we should never judge a book by its cover. I have learnt something.

11. wylie

I also found her much more "normal" than I was expecting at the start. She seems an interesting woman indeed.

MTR likes this.
  12. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Recommended viewing to all. Different take to the usual GFC docos which are full of boring bankers with their take on what they didn't and did predict.

Don't watch much lately, but this one had me griped to the end.

Some points of reflection:

- money doesn't buy happiness that is clear.
    - even when you're a billionaire your business doesn't run by itself.
    - similar theme to Trumps life, although Donald was born into wealth from property compared to David who is self made from the 80s. Self absorbed, workaholic, enough is never enough, and beauty pageants seem to be the common theme.
    - the boss effectively talks down onto the suckers that buy into his timeshare, how can that be good for his business? - effectively calling them free-loaders and easy / vulnerable prospects to sell to.
    - nothing wrong with profitability of business model, but dependent on indefinite lending.
    - son complaining how tough his work was working for his dad, and having to draw out his own equity - no one is forcing him to work there?
    - similar selling models are rampant today in places like the Gold Coast locally.
    - no real reflection on the ethics of the business model, pushing timeshare on many vulnerable people that could not afford it. Can be argued to be a legal pyramid scheme.

Timeshare is a right to occupy a place at a given date, but it is only a right, subject many levels of fineprint.

With online travel deals and AirBnB timeshare would have to be the worst deal for buyers compared to in the 80s when some deals were OK when getting early IMO.

Last edited: 27th Mar, 2016
    MTR likes this.
  13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The Versailles place looked spacious but I would love to declutter their other home and get those poor dogs outside for a good walk and poop.
    She's nice but would look better in more classical clothes - just my opinion. The daughter was sweet and was right about standing up to her father although they should learn to turn the lights off. I know Jacqui started out as an engineer but apart from that, didn't see any evidence of brains - obviously lost the car keys and left the front door open.
    Good doco on addiction to comsumerism at all levels. And the way the banks were hanging out for as many foreclosures as they could bring on.
    Glad it's not like that here.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF