Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Development/residential finance

Discussion in 'Property Finance' started by benofbrisbane, 21st Aug, 2016.

1. benofbrisbane

benofbrisbane Member

Hi All

I have a 607 sqm corner block with a house on it in Brisbane in the suburb of Fairfield (flood free part :)).

I am hopeful of getting DA approval next month to retain the existing house and build three new townhouses at the rear of the house.

I have been told that the loan will need to be a commercial loan as I am constructing more than two.

I had understood that at least some bank regarded four or less as residential and would lend on that basis.

I am just wondering whether anyone knows of a bank which would issue a residential loan for construction purposes? I am happy to use a broker if there are any that think they can get it over the line on a resi deal.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Ben

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Solicitor, Finance Broker, CTA Business Member

Yes. There are a few threads on here already about this.

St g. Rams aretwo

3. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Depends on the DA.

If the DA is to subdivide the house and then construct then you are looking at the following lenders:

1. NAB (80% LVR)
    2. Heritage (80% LVR)
    3. Bankwest (80% LVR)
    4. RAMS (80% LVR)
    5. St George (depends on the strength of the application but most likely 70% LVR)

If your DA is construction and then subdivision then it becomes 4 dwellings on a single title so your lender choice is limited to:

1. Bankwest
    2. Heritage
    3. RAMS
    4. St George (depends on the strength of the application but most likely 70% LVR)

Out of all the lender RAMS has the superior product when it comes to 4 units on a single title.

Cactus likes this.
  4. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Would they consider the potential rental income from the townhouses in the serviceability calculations?

5. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Fo shizzle my nizzle.

Cactus, tobe, Daniel007 and 1 other person like this.
  6. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Your keeping the existing house and putting 3 behind it on 600sq. What are they going to be, 1 bedroom with a combined kitchen/bathroom?

7. klabat

klabat Well-Known Member

Would be interested in the address and the zoning its in for this to be approved. You may just get a refusal... at least your looking into the finance part. Hardest hurdle is to get the DA approved.

8. benofbrisbane

benofbrisbane Member

Thanks Terry and Shahin.

It is construction and then subdivision.

I have used St George before but they were hopeless.

I will have a look at Rams.

In relation to the other questions, the townhouses will be 3 bed, 2.5 bath and 1 car. I have received the RFI and BCC appear to be on board.

I note that they recently approved 5 three bed townhouses on a 607 block.

9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Are there any of the residential lenders that will finance construction of 5 dwellings or 6 dwellings at 80% lend? ( to avoid commercial finance and the much lower LVRs associated )

I have a small site. 4 dwellings could be done, however I think profitability, end-value and cashflow would be maximised doing small dwellings ( 1 and 2-bedders ) and these would better suit the location.

I'm looking at gross floor area in the 350 sqm to 400 sqm range excluding parking ( irrespective of number of dwellings ).

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Solicitor, Finance Broker, CTA Business Member

Frequently asked here. Search for posts br Shahin

11. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

RAMS might do 5 by exception - not 6 though, that will definitely be commercial. For 5, RAM's will want to see ideally that you'll be holding them all, and are not a 'developer' - as in you don't do this stuff for your income/job. Are you planning to hold them? They'll definitely prefer it if you're not selling the whole development.

12. wombat777

Current plan is hold them all for 1 to 2 years and then sell 1 or 2 after say 12 months ( to pay down PPOR debt and retain some cash for further development ). Would retain the others as the area will be good for growth/cashflow.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  13. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

It would definitely be worth a shot then. What's your servicing like?

14. wombat777

Will primarily need to rely on the rental income from the development ( using only 80% of the rental income @ 7.25% ).

Intent is to optimise the configuration of units to achieve an appropriate level of cashflow. Should hopefully be doable due to the location ( 2-3 minute walk from train station ).

Not looking to start for 18-24 months. Trying to get an achievable plan in place and ducks in a row. Largely have the cash/shares to fund the deposit but still need to save some more.

( @Terry_w, yes aware it has been asked but the lending landscape is constantly changing )

Terry_w likes this.