development potential with this fairly unique property

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tinaandalex, 12th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tinaandalex

Tinaandalex Well-Known Member

Hi All,

We are looking at a property (refer to pix attached) in Bayside city council (Melbourne) which has some unique characters:
    - semi-detached with next door,
    - sharing the fence with 4 units (single story) on the other side
    - narrow width (11.4m)
    - Right-of-way at the rear

We are only keen if we can knock down the current building which has a common wall with neighbour and build two townhouses, one on the front and one on the back.
    Q1: What's the cost of knocking down a house where there's a common wall with neighbour?
    Q2: Is it worth sub-dividing this land? With the shape of the land, there will be too much wasted on the rear unit's drive way and not much left to build a decent sized townhouses. That makes us think with some creative ideas we may be able to cross the line. What came to our mind is the right-of-way but not sure if it would help in this situation?

Is there any draftman for the Bayside city council on this forum please?
    Thanks heaps.
    Tina 5 Hornby.jpg 5 Hornby floorplan.jpg s forum?

Thanks heaps.
    Tina

2. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

First thing i would do is look at the plan attached to the title and make sure that ROW is shown (could also be shown as a road). Do not take what you have attached above as evidence that you can use the rear ROW as access to the rear of any proposed sudivided lot. If there is no road shown on the plan abutting the rear of your lot call your local surveyor (which may be the firm i work in since we are on the border of bayside / kingston councils) to research whether the rear row can be used.

I wouldnt be going to just a draughtsman for this one, i would be trying to maximise the site and that would mean getting a planner involved. Check out @Tufan Chakir he's a planner/architect and an active member on this forum.

Tinaandalex and Tufan Chakir like this.
  3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

As stated above. You will need to check the title. The "common wall" - if common to both properties and on title you will need to leave it in place - this can be done. Check the planning controls - what are the constraints? Heritage? Neighbourhood Residential? Your design solution should be innovative. Seems to me should be workable. If a "unique site", you need someone with a good skill base to explore and then design. i'd suggest a drafter may not be the person you need, at least to start with

Tinaandalex likes this.
  4. Tinaandalex

Thanks @lixas4 and @Tufan Chakir , that makes sense!
    Tufan, what would be the best way for us to have a feasibility assessment of this particular block? Auction is this Sat & we r only keen if we can subdidive and build 2 good size townhouses.
    Regards
    Tina
    Ps: I Ve got s32 and sounds like the land is clean, no overlay or restrictions

5. Candlebark

Candlebark Well-Known Member

This looks like a good site. Check that the schedule to the zone doesn't vary the setback requirements too much because it's very narrow and this will eat into your building area. You'll also need to provide a walkway from the rear unit onto the street (not the ROW) so that there is a street address for it. Cant be on the driveway of the front dwelling.
    ROW access rights and vehicle turning movement into the site are critical issues.

6. Tinaandalex

Thanks @Candlebark. I thought about walk way i/o driveway for the rear unit too but not sure how feasible and marketable it is for the residents to have to walk over 30m into their building...