Development of Duplex in north ryde

Discussion in 'Development' started by megh, 1st Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. megh

megh Member

HI
    I have a site in north ryde which is R2 zoning and recently the council is allowing to build duplexes if the width is more then 16 m .

May i know if we can apply for subdivision now and start construct 2 years later .I am being told that sometimes council can change the policy and we can lose the opportunity of building duplex.

How long is the Subdivision approval valid .

What's the process . Do we need to go to architect and ask him to design a plan and then ask him to submit the subdivision approval. are there any agencies that anyone recommends to get the subdivision approval

I researched and found metricon and rawson and masterton homes does duplexes and they can do the subdivision process.

Anyone can suggest good builders in sydney which have experience in Duplexes and can get approvals .

DavidSmith likes this.
  2. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Are you trying to build a duplex in North Ryde from Perth?
    I would definitely start your DA now it can take over 12 months to get plans drawn and approved. I generally don’t like the huge companies, their overheads are so much larger that you will find they have to either add on hidden costs or cut corners. Take care some of the bigger companies have class actions against them involving many millions of dollars. Just google the name and class action to find out who. I have seen one of Australia’s largest builders lay a slab with no metal reinforcing next to my site. This was paid out so it will never appear anywhere in writing.
    Also our NSW government is famous for protecting the big builders from their clients.
    The best advice is use an independent structural engineer to check everyones work whilst work is going on. Don’t just rely on a compliance checker.

Sackie and DavidSmith like this.
  3. megh

megh Member

Can you recommend builders who dont have overheads and quite good

4. Lincsus

Lincsus Well-Known Member

Subdivision approval is generally valid for 5 years. I have a bit of experience with duplexes in Western Sydney. Private message if you need any tips.

DavidSmith likes this.
  5. DavidSmith

DavidSmith New Member

Hi Megh,
    How are things going with your duplex approval and building in North Ryde?
    I am living there now and also wish to start the process. That would be great if you can share your experience? Thank you,
    David

Hi Lincsus, thank you. I am also exploring the duplex building option for my place in North Ryde. Could you please let me know how long the CDC may take? If you know some good builders, please let us know. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated (I am a newbie :) )

6. Bhav

Bhav Member

Reach out Kuber Homes. They are doing multiple duplex project for my friend in Canada Bay and Ryde Council.

DavidSmith likes this.
  7. DavidSmith

DavidSmith New Member

Thank you. I will do an investigation on them.

8. Kat3

Kat3 New Member

Hi I want to know if ryde council would have a exception to approve a duplex under either good merit or affordable housing as I have over the 15mt frontage but I'm under the 580sqm. We are close to a bus stop and have owned the house for a while but would like to build a duplex so I can relocate my parents to live next door to me to look after them. Can anyone help and let me know if there is a way. Thanks

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is this going to be the most appropriate type of accommodation for them in 10, 15, 20+ years time? Would a granny flat be more appropriate?

Duplexes that we have considered are 3/3½/1 with one bedroom/office/ensuite being located on the ground floor with it's own entrance so you can move your main bedroom downstairs when you no longer want to climb the stairs.

10. DavidSmith

DavidSmith New Member

As far as I know, you may be able to build a duplex in this case but they unlikely allow us to split it into two titles.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia