Development in Victoria

Discussion in 'Development' started by Gringo, 19th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gringo

Gringo Member

Hi all,

What a great forum. I’ve only discovered this site and have read all of the threads in the development section and have learnt a lot.

I’m hoping someone with knowledge in developing and the local area I wish to build can help.

I am a first time builder and thinking about building a duplex in Glen Iris on 700sqm of land.

Some of the questions I have are:

1) what is your experience with council building a duplex vs stand alone two storey dwellings. I have noticed that there have been a few of both built over the past few years. Does council have a preference/appetite? Are they reasonable to work with? My preference is for a side by side duplex as both homes can have street frontage.

2) what is the initial process? Should a town planner or architect be engaged first? Can they work together? I prefer to use a town planner and architect to ensure there are no issues throughout the process and work with a local expert while maximising the size of the land and design.

3) how long can the process take from initial planning to build start?

4) how much does a town planner and architect generally cost? I have viewed some
    town planners recommended on this site as a starting point to understand their role.

5) has council changed their stance on two dwellings on the block over the past few years? I know someone who had done something similar some years ago and the process appeared to be drawn out.

6) have I missed anything else worth considering or asking this community?

FYI. This isn’t for investment purposes so ROI isn’t important on this project.

Thanks all in advance.

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

1. The Council is reasonable to deal with - it will ultimately depend on 1. the quality of the application, drawings, submission, and 2. the person/planner you will deal with at the Council during the process

2. Local expert does not necessarily mean good, look for an expert that works in a wider area. They are more likely to take risks/take on the Council and won't be afraid to "upset" planning staff. Go for quality, not location. Try to find a one stop shop - there are some around (architect and planner in same office). If difficult go for town planner first. Planners tend to look outwards, architects tend to focus on the site. ultimately you will need both, in my opinion
    3. 6 months, all going well. There will be some variables. Don't expect less
    4. depends on the service required. ask for a schedule of services and fees so you can compare services, not just fees. Budget $3-5k for planner only, $3-4k per house architect. Slightly less if one stop shop
    5. planning controls change all the time. No such thing as a precedent - but in reality other examples MAY help
    6. seek out quality advice and expect to pay something for it after the initial conversations.

Silverson likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Just doing the last progress payment on a duplex site in a nearby burb.

If not sep titled before construction, expect a 20 to 25 % haircut on vals, so while ROI isnt an issue equity often is.

ta
    rolf

4. Gringo

Gringo Member

Thanks to you both for the information. Greatly appreciated.