Development cost for Storm water drainage and easement

Discussion in 'Development' started by gaur.abhi1986, 20th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gaur.abhi1986

gaur.abhi1986 Member

HI All,

I am new in this forum.

I am planning to buy a block of land and wanted some details about storm water drainage.

My land block blow the street level and don't have any storm water easement, below my land there are town houses but there is also no easement available for storm water. In that condition I am not able to find out whether should I buy this land of block or not. because there might be the chances that if I want storm water drainage I need to install around 100m pipes which goes beside town house. Is there anyone who can suggest me if I go with this option what will be the approx cost for this development.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Do you have guaranteed access to a storm water easement through the townhouses? They may refuse.
    Marg

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are you planning a single house? Some council's will permit a pump out system ie no easement required. Getting an easement through a t/h development will be difficult at you need the approval of all owners.

4. gaur.abhi1986

gaur.abhi1986 Member

@Marg4000 I checked with Strata and they are agreed to help us we just need to pay the cost for all development.

5. gaur.abhi1986

gaur.abhi1986 Member

6. Scott No Mates

What is Council suggesting in the absence of getting agreement with neighbours?

Can you have onsite detention?
    Do you adjoin a reserve?
    Have you spoken to a drainage engineer?

Is it for a house or dual occ/multiple residences? That will determine the solution.

7. gaur.abhi1986

gaur.abhi1986 Member

we want to build duplex on the land, my right hand side neighbour have easement but my land slop goes down the left land side in backyard .. so I am not sure whether I can use my right hand side neighbour pipe or not.

Can you suggest me what all the things I can do to get the proper solution for my storm water issue

8. Scott No Mates

It is a duplex - council will not permit pump out systems for multi-dwellings.

Have your solicitor and surveyor review the terms of the S88b - does the existing easement have capacity? Do you require consent to use or upgrade the pipe?

9. gaur.abhi1986

gaur.abhi1986 Member

Thanks for your reply. There is no easement in my land, my right hand side neighbour have their own easement. but my land slops goes down at left hand side. so I am not sure whether I can use my right hand side neighbour easement. He has 1.0 m wide easement. How can I know that whether I can use his easement or not.

10. gaur.abhi1986

gaur.abhi1986 Member

Thanks for your reply. There is no easement in my land, my right hand side neighbour have their own easement. but my land slops goes down at left hand side. so I am not sure whether I can use my right hand side neighbour easement. He has 1.0 m wide easement. How can I know that whether I can use his easement or not.

11. Scott No Mates

At noted above.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I have had to do similar for a duplex, get an easement from council for stormwater as they were my neighbour. IMHO if you can find another site then I would be doing that, unless the deal is an amazing deal with fantastic returns. The easement issue can take more than 12 months to organise and the cost can be quite a bit, not to mention the one thousand and one frustrations along the way.

If your still keen you will need an engineer to determine what are the viable options for stormwater. I would be booking in a pre lodgement meeting with council and take your engineer to discuss this and come up with a plan that council will accept. Then you will need to smooch over any neighbours you will need an easement from or plan to connect to their services and compensation will most likely be required.

Unless the feasibility is showing stellar returns, personally I would be looking for another site.

Last edited: 20th Oct, 2017
    qak and Anthony416 like this.
  13. Jjjb

Jjjb Active Member

Two options
    1#pump out system not direct to easement but to a elevated pit then gravity fall to councils easement.
    2# charged line system, again to elevated pit them gravity fall to easement.

You may need to incorporate a osd in system but this is irrelevant to what you are asking.

It can be done , cost wise not a great more than normal however it is not ideal to have your entire development rely on two pumps.

What council?

14. gaur.abhi1986

gaur.abhi1986 Member

Campbelltown council.

What is OSD?

Thanks

15. Jjjb

Jjjb Active Member

On site detention , basically a tank to hold water before it is controlled at a certain flow rate to easement.

16. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

You will need this in writing and the strata will need to have voted to ensure all owners agree,
    If not in writing and you buy the place based on Cost only access, some owner will twig and they ask for compensation due to decreased value now the property has a easement on the title which could add $$$ to your cost.

One of my neighbours was paid $35k plus cost (Legal and actual installation of easement) to compensate them for the easement.

17. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Brisbane won't allow a pump out system for subdivisions so we see it a lot. We just had a quote for $24k to put a 150mm pipe through 40m of the neighbour's yard and connect to the street system. That included restoration (house is 1m from boundary so concrete and landscaping to deal with) but didn't include the legals or compensation.