Developing negotiation skills

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Cousinit, 10th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Of course the Americans run the Pawnshops dont they?:D

ANyone watch the Gold family show Hardcore Pawn set in Detroit ?

Now Les Gold is a no nonsense negotiator... and he is American.

2. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

How do the Chinese negotiate differently from others ? Do you have experience dealing directly with people in China?

3. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

Not everyone can learn what it takes to be a good negotiator. Top negotiation skills are developed over many decades of using what is initially a basic skill to complete deals and only after you have done this day in/day out with tens of thousands or if not hundreds of thousands of clients will you have developed what I regard as highly skilled negotiation tactics.

Only very basic negotiation skills can be taught by reading books, playing board games etc as you need to put your learning into real practice time and time again which will allow you to perfect it which is no different to learning any other skill in life, and after every time a deal is lost over an objection, only then will you get the chance to enhance your skills to reduce the possibility of that objection happening again. Avoiding and over coming the objection(s) is the path to successful negotiation.

The best negotiators are always middle aged to mature aged adults as it is only these people that have had the time and experience behind them to continually develop the skills required..

Easiest way to learn excellent negotiation skills is to go get a job working for someone that has these skills so you can see how they go about it all.

Regards,

alicudi

4. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Agree this is a great read.

Asia is different to the West. The motivations are different. We think like individuals, they think as a collective.

From loss of face, having trust, to even things as small as mannerisms, or speaking to the wrong person in the incorrect order can put you into a difficult position. I work across Asia in contract negotiation, and in my experience you need to be significantly more prepared, and I don’t mean about the content of the negotiations.

5. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Les Gold is a Jewish American who is a Pawnbroker

I dont think Americans are the best at negotiating however

6. PresentNow

PresentNow Member

Reading books on Negotiation is a good start, however practice is what makes it perfect. So how can you practice?

Use it at the markets! If you go shopping at the markets try to negotiate and create win win situations. It may not necessarily just be price, it can be grouping products together. You can even try to negotiate at an eatery to wash their dishes for food.

Negotiate with neighbours about mowing their lawns for something else. Negotiate with the telco for a lower price, negotiate with your wife/husband for something. Negotiate with your kids.

Make it fun and it wouldn't feel as hard.

Just make sure you don't make the other party feel ridiculous for any offers they make. You are not trying to fight, you are trying to come to a mutual agreement.