Developing from a distance

Discussion in 'Development' started by Melbpositivegeared, 8th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Melbpositivegeared

Melbpositivegeared Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I've come across a potential development deal 4 hours away from Melbourne. (I live in Sydney and have never developed before)

There is a house sitting on the front of the land- I can purchase slightly positively geared.

I would then look at a sibdivision to build 2 units on the back- and then I have Te choice of knocking down the house and putting another 2 on the front- or keeping as is.

Alternatively there is a very conservative $60-70k profit in the deal if I subdivide off the 2 blocks on the back and sell the land with plans.

There is a 32% return if I take on the development leaving some good contingency in the deal. However this would be a first and I'm unaware of what challenges I may face barely visiting site.

I'd love to get some thoughts and ideas

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I live in Perth and almost completed my 4 townhouse project in Melbourne, search Thomastown will give you some info.

If you are subdividing land potentially easier, shorter time frame and no build involved or holding costs.

just make sure your feasibility figures are correct, end values and there is a demand for the blocks/size etc

Have you looked at sales figures and contacted many agents in the area?.

All the best

MTR:)

Westminster and Sackie like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Vital. That will be the do or die right there.

Also make sure its actually permissible to build the stock you need to on the site. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything without talking to a town planner first to get a very good idea.

4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Go to vic dept of planning websites to check the zones. There are diff rules for different councils vegetation overlays, contributions, site coverages, setbacks, heights, permeability etc

5. Melbpositivegeared

Melbpositivegeared Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yea I've spoken with just the one agent at present but will get more opinions. I've spoken with the councils town planner- I did have a private town planner I was speaking to, but have since engaged another one as I felt the first seemed too aggressive in what he believed I could achieve without the foundation to back his figures. Google seemed to suggest he was a local, however I've now been strongly recommended one who knows the area back to front :)

MTR likes this.