Business Technology Developing a computer program?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Jaylu, 14th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jaylu

Jaylu New Member

Hi All,

I have an idea that I want to bring to market - it's basically a computer program/app (more of a program I think though.)

Trouble is, I have no idea how to develop a computer program. I basically want someone who already knows about such things to do it for me - does anyone have a guy/girl that they have used before for this kind of thing?

I also have no idea about the cost of this, timeframe it takes etc - I'm basically googling how to do the whole thing but would love to hear some real people's ideas/experiences too.

2. Srini Ranganathan

Srini Ranganathan Active Member

I'm getting a website built for our business using a company in India that I found online. I am from India so less cultural barriers for me. I am also a developer myself. So that helps.

I would suggest posting on freelancer or similar websites. But be sure to...
    1. Clearly specify the scope of work
    2. Ask for a fixed price
    3. Understand what is included and not included
    4. If you need help/support after development, understand what that would look like.

If you provide more details, I may be able to help with more specific ideas.

Get a few quotes, compare, read their reviews, talk to their other customers and go from there.

You could also do the same with local companies, but be prepared to pay 2x - 3x. That's what I've found in my experience.

3. Taso Katsionis

Taso Katsionis Member

I've outsourced development of website and apps, the pricing is great but if you've not used these services and managed projects of this nature, the time you will spend on managing outsourced developers could be more than paying a local company.

But as Srini states, the scope of work (brief or functional spec) is important, describing all the functionality that you need to launch, and there may be functionality that is cost prohibitive that you may want to add later.

I found that there is no one resource of how to go about it, you need to search a lot and then find out what best works for you, you may also try some online courses, some interesting ones I found on udemy.com can help.

4. Jaylu

Jaylu New Member

Thanks so much for the info. I literally know nothing at this point, but I do have a reasonably clear idea of what I want the program to achieve so will work on making that super clear and then get some quotes.

I'm a bit worried about someone stealing my idea though - how do you prevent that?

Can you give me an idea of the kinds of functionality that is cheap (and what cheap actually is - are we talking $5k ,or $50k) and what kind of functionality is expensive?

Thank you!

5. Taso Katsionis

Taso Katsionis Member

Hi Jaylu, I'd suggest that you look up Appster or similar development businesses, they have resources that you can download once you sign up, which are really helpful, even have a 30 min free consultation if you like (btw I'm not affiliated with them).
    With regards to preventing someone stealing your idea, you'll be surprised that someone in this world has the same idea :) - just get it out there and you don't need to be the first... competition is good and you can learn a lot about your competition to help you differentiate your idea.
    Regards,
    Taso.

Jaylu and Srini Ranganathan like this.
  6. Srini Ranganathan

I heard somewhere that ideas are worthless - execution is everything. So, like Taso said, I wouldn't stress too much about someone stealing your idea.

As to what functionality is expensive vs. cheap is a hard question to answer without understanding the nature of these functions.

You could also consider using a standard NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) with the provider you choose.

Also, as Taso said, you need to be a strong vendor/project manager with these service providers - local or overseas.

Happy for you to PM me if you'd like to chat.

Taso Katsionis, Jaylu and abbyfresh like this.
  7. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron New Member

I recently had a web app developed. We looked at the option of a mobile app, but it would have been too limiting if only available for Android/iOS devices and didn't want initial expense of a shared mobile/web app.

We hired through Upwork, the world's largest online workplace and found someone we worked well with. We had quotes ranging from 300 hours to over 2000, with hourly rates under US$10 to over US$40. So you are going to have a lot of research ahead of you if go down that route of not using someone who has been recommended to you.

I would not recommend working with someone from a freelancer site unless you are somewhat technically inclined and can provide explicit detail on how you want this program/app to function. If you just have a broad idea, then you are going to need someone to develop the idea further before putting it in front of a developer.

I used https://gomockingbird.com (free to try) to map out exactly how the app would work, fields it would need, how each feature related to the others (using a written description along with the wireframe design).

As others have mentioned, there is not only the build of the program, but execution of advertising and getting it into customers hands.

If you are not technically inclined and not in the industry (e.g. with good contacts) you are targeting I would consider giving the project a complete miss as there's a good chance you will p*ss away your money. If you have one but not the other, consider finding a business partner/consultant you can rely on to assist.

Good luck, feel free to PM if you think I can provide assistance, but my developer primarily worked on web applications. Depending on what your program does that may or may not be the route you go.

8. Srini Ranganathan

If its a technical product you're trying to develop but don't have the skills, I completely agree with Baron.

Get a trusted technical co-founder or find someone you can trust to help you.

The forum is a good spot to find like minded people.

Jaylu likes this.
  9. RoboHaus

RoboHaus Member