Developers, what software are you using?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Alkira, 15th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alkira

Alkira Member

Hi all,
    What are you using, and why?
    Do you run various programs or try and keep it tucked into one?

I am operating a small scale business, trying to step things up from self-made excel spreadsheets. I don't like how much room for human error is there, and the time it takes me to cross-check and update features. (I'm no spreadsheet wiz)

I'm chasing a few things, one being a feasibility software, a cashflow tracker and a CRM

The two feaso candidates I have found so far are the big boy estatemaster suite and devfeas - feastudy. They seem quite complex, maybe too much so for doing 2-4 lot subdivisions and townhouses. Are there any other contenders?
    Even more basic feasibility spreadsheets, I am happy to pay for them but have struggled to find any neat ones.
    As for CRM type software what are you using for tracking your projects?
    For various stages, storing files, plans, documents, logging important correspondence, setting reminders and one feature that would be great for me would be cash flow tracking.
    I've trialled a couple like Monday, hubspot and teamwork, but just haven't found the right match yet!

2. Kent Cliffe

Kent Cliffe Well-Known Member

Think you're over thinking things. I know developers bring 300+ lots out of the ground still using excel and manually building cashflows/project management timelines/reminders. You might appreciate one of my videos on "development feasibility".

Alkira likes this.
  3. Alkira

Alkira Member

That has definitely got to be one of my biggest flaws, I tend to spend a lot of time overthinking 5 steps ahead.
    BUT at the same time, the purpose of this thread is to try and find the program/software/sheets that will enable me to streamline my working process, therefore focusing my time and energy on what's important. It may work for other people, but not everyone.
    The kicker is I am hopeless at excel, and I don't want my lack of knowledge or skill to be the thing that lets me down. I would rather pay money for developed systems that I can trust.
    PS Great channel you've got running there Kent, that's great to see!

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Have you checked through the spreadsheet collection here?

I use Excel and that's pretty much it - no CRM, no cash flow tracking

5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

No offence mate, but I had no idea you even existed half an hour ago! Just clicked on your link and watched a video, quite informative with only a very light touch of advertising your business (which is fair enough). Thanks for that, I imagine I'll watch quite a few more!

6. Kent Cliffe

HAHA! I don't have a business. To quote a famous rapper, "I am
    If I wasn't, then why would I say I am..." Just a good bloke providing genuine content, no thin marketing fluff, no expensive course, no service up sell.

Last edited: 16th Sep, 2020
    spludgey likes this.
  7. Kent Cliffe

An off the self solution has more chance of creating errors because you don't have any basis to check the output. At least by using excel, you're aware of your shortcoming.

With feasibilities it is more about the assumptions going into the model. I'd dare say after 10-20 feasibilities, on a project less then two years, you'd be able to get the numbers pretty accurate with a calculator and single sheet of paper...

Ketsle likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

A calculator, $25

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The best I find is "back of a envelope". Everyone complains about it however since nobody uses a REALLY REALLY large envelope. And they use a pen when a pencil helps the numerous changes. Seriously excel is highly adaptable. Most use an allowance approach to costing. We even provide developer clients with a excel sumamry for tracking all costs, GST, invoice numbers, dates and ABNs for reportable paymnets, BAS, profit and more. But we dont attempt to assist to cost a project as there are a multituide of variables.

A calculator wont ever correctly cost a error in pricing, tax mistakes, variations, council nit picky changes (eg handdug civils), modifications to design, stolen materials, additions to holding costs caused by delays etc

One of the old gems for project scheduling and sequencing is now cloud based - MS Project 365 (3 different options)
    Cloud storage of documents is a best method for documents. But how you file them or name them may be a fail

Alkira likes this.
  10. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I can't even answer my wife's questions when I drive. How are you delivering 12 mins while driving!

Westminster likes this.
  11. Kent Cliffe

2 and a half hours of out-takes

Gvs likes this.