Developer Meetup - Property Developer Network

Discussion in 'Networking & Meetups' started by lixas4, 7th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

I went to the property developer network organised by Rob Flux in Melb yesterday, it was awesome.

They are on in Brisbane/Syd/Melb once a month, the Melb one has only recently started and there were about 30-40 people there.

The structure is pretty good, it is broken down into 3 stages:

1. A consultant from any related industry will speak for an hour or so, yesterday it was a finance guy/valuer

2. Next hour is what they call a 'real deal' where a member talks about a deal they have done, all the good bad and very ugly parts of the deal, its a sharing discussion where the purpose isn't to sugar coat it. Rob Flux himself shared a jv deal that he did that went wrong, getting to the point where backup contingencies where used and most of the profit disappeared. All numbers are shown as well, expected profit v. actuals.

3. The final hour we broke off into groups of 6 or 7 and each had 10 mins or so to discuss any developments we are working on, and to discuss any issues we have and get the insight of others in the group. It was pretty amazing and there were some very experienced developers (100+ apartment projects etc) as well as lots of newbies who would ask about getting started.

Afterwards practically everyone went to the bar and continued development discussions. Rob talked about how many a JV deal is organised at the bar afterwards, I can definately see that happening, I was talking to a couple of guys who were doing exactly that, and they had met there a couple of meetings earlier.

Personally i found this group to be exactly what I have been looking for outside of this forum. A group of like-minded individuals who are very non-judgmental and supportive of development. The east and west melb meetups organised on this forum are also really good, but not development focused.

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Jul, 2019
    CTSB, astonma, Judi and 4 others like this.
  2. SmileSydney

SmileSydney Well-Known Member

@lixas4 Are you a member? How much is it to join? Thanks for sharing.

3. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

I am not a member yet, i will be going next month and sussing out if its still as awesome, and if it is then i will join.

25 for casual, 200 for annual (i believe, check on their website)

4. astonma

astonma Well-Known Member

I went to the latest event in Melbourne on the weekend, these guys are really good go check it out

lixas4 likes this.
  5. chief wigam

chief wigam Active Member

Hi, is this still on in Melbourne?

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hearing more about specific projects they have completed in Melb.

7. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I wonder if these guys have something to do with the conitnous generic letters I keep getting from different people saying the "pay above market for the right property".

lixas4 likes this.
  8. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Yes, most of the development groups recommend sending letters. Youre prob not going to respond, but for others reading this that get sent letters, just watch out who you respond too as most of letter senders know very little about development and will just try and sign you up to an option agreement, then resell the option.

9. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

The organiser of the event doesnt really do any developments in melb, and the ones he does are generally smaller land subs (2 to 6 lotters), in qld. Prob about half the people that attend do developments, the other half are learning and trying to get into it.

10. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

It was very obvious from the letter that they kave no idea what they're on about.
    A bit like the telemarketers. If it was the lockdown period I could've sat down with a coffee and have some fun with them.