Deterring root growth?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Ouga, 10th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Was driving from Wagga to Katoomba on the weekend and really noticed all the Leighton Greens and Poplars all over the place. They look great out on farms etc and I started thinking I'd like to plant one. So I looked up the info and your thread came up.
    Looking in that brochure that I posted, you could end up with 35 metre trees at some point in the future. They are going to need to be cut down at some point. I've changed my mind.
    They might be fine for a while though.
    Would be good to perhaps start a conversation with the landlor about replacing them with pencil pines sometime. Maybe you could pay for the pencil pines (not cheap) and he/she could pay to get rid of the Leightons. (?)

Ouga likes this.
  2. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    I am going to talk to the tenant next door the next time I get someone to trim the hedge and will offer to trim down the pines to around the roof line just above the windows. We have a couple of windows overlooking their backyard and I suspect this is the reason they were planted in the first place. I’ll offer to pay for it (since they’ll be doing some other works on our side anyway), so hopefully they’ll say yes.
    I think provided they keep they privacy in the yard there should not be a reason for them to say no. But you never know I guess.
    But even if I get them to agree to trim the trees, I don’t know about potential root impacts.
    Perhaps worth getting an arborist to precisely identify the tree and potential for root damage.
    Yeah so kinda no progress made on this!
    I do not know the landlord at all, so that does not simply the issue.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not sure that the tenant has the authority to give you permission to significantly trim the trees as described.

Advise contacting the owner through the property manager.

Stoffo likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.