Determining yield (Sydney)

Discussion in 'Development' started by Nathan K, 1st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nathan K

    Nathan K New Member

    1st Jul, 2016
    Hi all!

    I'm new here (I'll do a proper intro in the introductions thread), - but, nice to meet you all!

    Can I just say I've been a reader for a while and this is such a great place and resource. Keep up the great work!

    I have a question that really confuses me at times. Might be easier to explain in point form:

    1. I have noticed some Councils have FSR (e.g. Parramatta Council) and other Councils do not (e.g. Blacktown and Penrith Council?)... Anybody know why this is the case?
    2. When I am looking at a site, I am trying to figure out a check list of sorts to allow me to quickly determine yield on any given site e.g. If it is an R3 Zoned site in Blacktown Council, how can I quickly determine the number of town houses the site can support. Any ideas in this respect?
    3. With FSR I understand that it's rather simple to determine the "workable" floor space and then divide by the space needed for each dwelling (e.g. 100sqm per 4 bedroom town house)
    4. When there is no FSR, how can I determine the "workable" floor space easily?
    5. Do you count driveways amd setbacks in courtyard required space?
    So, in short (excuse the lengthy questions) : how can I determine yield on sites that do have FSR and don't have FSR?

    I have desperately been trying to create a" cheat list" in checklist form so I can determine a site's feasibility quickly before making offers.

    Also, does the process differ much between Councils and Zoning classes?

    Thank you in advanced so very much to anybody that can assist in any way. I really do appreciate it heaps.

    Thanks again.

  2. Leo2413

    Leo2413 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    18th Jun, 2015
    All over the place.
    Town planner.

    I know its being lazy etc etc but I am sooo uninterested in reading all the council nonsense. I just talk to a few very good town planners who also develop to get all possible site options, then I do feasibilities on all options. After TP do 1 or two for you, you already know more or less what a site can yield. I am sure someone else will directly answer your question though.

    Welcome to the forum mate :)
    Propertunity likes this.
  3. Propertunity

    Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

    19th Jun, 2015
    ^ ^ second vote for a Town Planner who knows his stuff. Really good ones know some obscure sub-clause in the LEP, that might help you maximise the site's potential.
    Leo2413 likes this.
  4. Ravi

    Ravi Well-Known Member

    31st Jul, 2015
    @Nathan K As far as I know, Penrith council usage building envelop (ground area and height) to determine what can be built on a block in that zoning area.
    Building envelop is measured from ground level perpendicular to the site boundary at any given point along the wall.
    I agree, it can help a great deal if you can prepare a checklist(per council) that allows you to shortlist lands while scrolling through real estate sites. It is not always practical to just talk (and possibly pay) to Town Planner before doing your own due diligence.

    I hope experts in this forum can throw some light on this subject.
  5. Paul@PFI

    [email protected] Tax Accounting + SMSF Business Member

    18th Jun, 2015
    Town Planner

    I would recommend Andrew Neil from The Design Partnership on 02 43248554
    Dont worry about his Gosford location.

    A guy like Andrew can make a project. Time wasting is minimised as he knows each Council. In a recent example he showed a few of us how to increase yield by buying smart and designing smart for approval rather than butting heads at council.
    Peter P likes this.