Desperate landlord

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by skyfury, 27th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. skyfury

skyfury Well-Known Member

Hi

I have been renting for a few years and eventually I have my investment property. When I was renting, I always keep paying rent on time and keep rented premise clean enough so I thought everyone is same kind.

During leasing, agent told me they found good tenant, everything was good, income, background check etc, I asked agent if tenant have dogs, agent said they have a small outdoor dog, which always keep outside and she would ask them to sign pet clause and extra 500 pets bonds. Based on what agent told me, at the end, I agreed to sign this tenant.

Agent signed contract on behalf of me, that is how problem comes. I did not see contract until agent signed it.

Agent did not make the contract as they told me. There is two dogs in contract and there is no 500 extra bonds. I was mad when I saw the contract. I came back to agent to ask why there is two dogs but you told me there is only one, she said sorry I forgot to tell you….

tenant has not payed rent on time for 4 months. It was hard process to ask property manager to send “Notice to vacate” letter to let them out. They always pay some rent when it is 21 days overdue before agent can apply for VCAT. During last 4 months, there was one chance to apply for VCAT but result was repayment plan. Another time agent could apply for VCAT but before hearing, tenant payed rent and arrear was clear so hearing was adjourned.

I find tenant facebook, he is always keep showing off that he rents a good house, and there are photos he keeps a big dog in house which is not allowed by lease and he contains more people in the premise than lease allows. I snapshot photo and sent to agent. Agent told me they could not use these photos because tenant could sue them since this is tenant privacy.

Tenant keep taking advantage of me but I have no way to evict them out. How useless agent is and how desperate I am.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Sorry to hear - bad tenants can be very stressful. Can you sack your PM?

3. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

The agent lied to you then... you said they forgot to tell u ... so they signed a contract for one dog but theres two ?

Which area is this ?

Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Welcome to the land of being a filthy rich & all powerful landlord.......

13774, Tom Rivera, TMNT and 3 others like this.
  5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

The tenant might be bad but your PM sounds horrible. I would be finding a new PM as soon as possible.

KayTea likes this.
  6. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I don't get this. The photo is posted on the internet, on a website available to all, and clearly no privacy settings have been set up considering you can see them.

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe just ring up the principal of the company. Because from the rental contract you entered into is binding on the principal also..

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Do you have an actual PPOR ?
    How long has the lease got left to run, or has it transitioned to periodic?
    Just have the agent give them notice as you want to move back into your home.
    Not really the right thing to do, but no one else seems to be playing fair !!

Last edited: 28th Feb, 2018
  9. Karena Knee

Karena Knee New Member

Serve the tenant with a 90 day NTV at end of fixed tenancy. Best way to move tenants on when you are having issues. Once your tenant has vacated, find a new agent.

Tom Rivera and hobartchic like this.
  10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Wow
    I would be using FB photos as proof especially for insurance
    Does the lease have a clause for outdoor pets only.

The agent is inexperienced

Tom Rivera and Stoffo like this.
  11. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

I would definitely not wait until tenant has vacated to find another agent.

wylie likes this.
  12. Karena Knee

Karena Knee New Member

I would. I would expect the current agent to clean up the tenancy. It has occurred during their management. Why move it and expect a new PM to to deal with the incompetence of a previous agent.

skyfury and dabbler like this.
  13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

You have found yourself a professional tenant, better find yourself a professional PM as well.
    Sounds like the tenant is paying the rent eventually so don’t stress too much but don’t renew the lease and find a new tenant.

Kassy likes this.
  14. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Why would you expect the current agent to "clean up the tenancy"? They've shown they are not doing their job, so no reason to expect them to start between now and the end of the tenancy.
    The new one should be incentivised to sort it out as they will have an ongoing income going forward.
    No way in hell would I let the current one continue. Even if I had a 6 month contract with them, I would pay it out just to be remove control from them immediately and find someone competent.

Kassy, dabbler and wylie like this.
  15. skyfury

Yes, only allow outdoor dogs

16. skyfury

I do not know if I can here?

17. skyfury

I believe they lied to me on purpose. Agent told me tenant only has one small dog jack russel always outside. She signed two dogs in lease. when tenant moved into property, they qucikly bought another dog without telling agent and me. Point cook

18. skyfury

I worry about transfering document and claim landlord insurance later. if current agent does not tranfer document to new agent, it wil affect landlord insurance claim

19. skyfury

Photo is from tenant's facebook.

20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity who is the agency?