Designer required (colour expert) Sydney

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by neK, 21st Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Me and my wife require help in picking colour palettes. From walls to floors, to kitchen cupboards and benchtops.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Try and find a local interior designer (or similar) check houzz. There may be someone nearby
    You could take a gamble and try a dulux colour person but quality is unknown

Staet with pintrest set up different boards for each room.
    That will start to narrow styles and colours you (your wife :)) are drawn to

Sackie likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What does she dream about? A Tuscan hillside at sunset? A vibrant Asian market, the Outback, waterfalls and forests in the Blue Mountains? That will give you a starting point.

I used to agonise over the colour to repaint my bedroom walls for at least a year before biting the bullet and opening a Dulux colour catalogue. Each palette used to have soooooo many shades. Last month when I had to select the paint for the unit I am renovating, the nice staff at Dulux have made it easier. They now have little booklets of their "most popular whites and neutrals" , "most popular outdoor colours" etc with far fewer choices. The colours I most recently repainted my house (about four years ago) are all there in their new books, so I must have been onto something.Any colour will look quite different throughout the day as the light varies.

Please do not select anything Trendy as you might soon hate it. If your wife's favourite colour is blue (for example), then go with blue, even if it is not fashionable this year.

bob shovel likes this.
  4. bob shovel

Yes this books make out it easier to narrow down! I grabbed a heap then went through process of elimination, marking pages and ripping out the ones i didn't like.
    They do have nice fancy pictures and colour schemes

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If it was just walls then I would suggest a Dulux Colour Consultant - they can tie it back into the other items but they can't choose those items for you as part of the standard consult. If they are also an interior designer they might be able to assist with those items as an additional scope project.

Generally what you are looking for is an interior designer and costs range a lot.

Hopefully someone local has a recommendation for you.

6. devank

devank Well-Known Member

If it is for your own house then I would go with what you two like.
    Then get the shop assistant help you different colours for that theme. At least it will be your choice.
    Just don't over do with gender based baby colours :)

7. bob shovel

edited for 21st century ;)

samiam, neK and devank like this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Any display villages nearby?
    If so, go along and check out interiors.
    You can usually find out exactly what products, btranss, colours etc have been used.
    Marg

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

We've gone to the display villages and also kitchen places.
    My wife keeps asking for me colour choices and I keep telling her my colour schemes will be the boring plain white :D

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Besides hiring an interior designer (can pay upto 1k or more if drawings are wanted) , the easiest way I've found is to find color schemes you like on line, then going to the shops with those images and getting comparable colors. Many images on line will have the colors/specs detailed.

qak likes this.
  11. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Dulux Consultant is the best few hundred bucks you will ever spend, as part of a major reno.

Other than that - jump on HOUZZ and find stuff you both like. Stick to it. Otherwise you'll be forever second guessing your choices...

neK likes this.
  12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Leo2413 and @euro73
    Did you guys use any interior designers? If so, can you PM me their details so I can get in touch with them?

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

For Sydney I do all my own color/interior designing now. If you needed for Brisbane I could recommend. At the end of the day once you understand a few color schemes and look at on line examples, its not hard to come up with something nice yourself.

14. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    We didnt use an interior designer. We did use a Dulux Colour Consultant though

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

16. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Ask @Meristone or check out (stalk!) her posts on here ...

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia