Design Services

Discussion in 'Development' started by Cameron Goodison, 6th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cameron Goodison

Cameron Goodison New Member

Hi All,

I'm in the building design business.
    We're constantly trying to improve our design services, and I was hoping that the property chat community could provide some feedback on what they have felt lacking from design services they have used in the past.

Thanks.

lixas4 likes this.
  2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Hi Cameron and welcome.

You might get a better response if you were to join as a business member.

Then it would help to know what area of building design, be it tiny houses, granny flats, volume builder houses, architecture designed homes, offices, skyscrapers....

Then you might post a poll with various aspects you have experienced during your previous projects as this will rate your idea's, then people will respond with other idea's and experiences, while others still might even assist with how to overcome perceived obstacles.

Good luck with your journey ;)

3. Cameron Goodison

Hi Stoffo,

Thanks for the response.
    For some perspective, we are an architectural practice in the aged-care and multi-res sectors. Most of our built jobs are around $20 million, however we don't say no to smaller or larger work.

Responses around Time, Cost & Quality are all relevant to my question as well as general experiences people have had working with architects/building designers.

4. frank22

frank22 Well-Known Member

Great question . For an amateur joe like me who is currently in the process of doing a battle axe project ,to build a 174 SQM single storey ,I looked for the following in a designer 1.communication 2. style 3. motivation 4. Trust
    The designer I am engaged with covered covered all, but motivation. I spent hours researching about clause 55, including ,SPOS , Garden area , requirements etc .None of this was explained to me ,which I though they should have . The mob I engaged are a large design company and they also there in house planners that submit and follow up the application to council .Having said that I picked several administrative mistakes . After several revisions I am reasonably happy ,but also concerned ,council will call for amendments which will change the dimensions of the unit ,and also waste time.The plans and permits incl survey and council fees ex working drawings will cost me approx $14 k ,Draftsman charge far less but I was hesitant,since this is my first project .

5. Cameron Goodison

Thanks for the detailed response Stoffo!
    Good luck with the project!

6. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

What’s lacking: an authentic (not just lip service), we’ll researched and thorough approach to sustainability.

7. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Can of worms there.

Intent of policy behind NCC provisions was nothing more than minimise the need to increase energy infrastructure, so make people generate their own electricity and reduce their loads.

How far down the rabbit hole you wanna go here?