Depreciation schedule without site inspection

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Ros, 11th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

Ok thanks for that :)

2. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

Since rental income needs to be earned before & after the capital cost is incurred, rent the property out for one week after then convert it into a PPOR? :p

What about something like garden bed planter boxes as a special strata levy?

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2017
  3. BeachBabe

BeachBabe Well-Known Member

Finally a savvy property accountant who knows his stuff @Paul@PFI. Thumbs up!! :)
    I have basic knowledge of the elementary issues re: tax and scrapping schedules and get so surprised when your average accountant has no clues. Worth paying for an accountant with property experience for maximum eligible deductions. Thanks for your handy tips!

Perthguy likes this.
  4. BeachBabe

BeachBabe Well-Known Member

Hey BMT

I did like you guys and had my depreciation & scrapping schedules done via you however I wasn't impressed when your prices almost doubled (?) And only within a 3 year timeframe. Hence i had to go elsewhere.... sadly the price is no longer comparatively competitive relative to others.

Why don't you offer a PC special discount? I don't know if this type of thing is permitted on this forum ie. self promotion. You'd have to provide a pretty good deal to win mine & i guess others business back....

Loved you whilst you were reasonable. Sadly had to take my business elsewhere and stop recommending you. :-(((
    Ps. I'm relatively new to this forum but not to investing

5. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

Hello BeachBabe,

BMT does offer a fee reduction for PropertyChat members so I'm surprised this wasn't offered when you mentioned it to our representative.

While we prefer to compete on results and service rather than the price tag, there must be more to it if the fees we quoted doubled in three years! The only official price rise we've had was by $55 and that was approximately three years ago.

My suspicion is that the original report would have been one where no inspection was required and was likely either part of a bulk order in a large development or that we had plenty of information available from the developer or builder.

While it's possibly too late now, you deserve a proper explanation and I would love to investigate this for you. If you could send me some information in a private message (any combination of contact details, property address or, best of all, a reference number) then I'll look into it and perhaps any explanation might at least be enough to have have you consider us again next time.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yeah, we keep a close watch on prices and BMT's haven't changed much at all over the years. None of the prices for the bigger companies have moved much, but everyone has a range of prices depending on what information is available.
    Scott

BMT Tax Depreciation likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have found a little known discount that can be accessed when buying a new (or recently completed) apartment. Buyers should know this one.

Usually when the big developers do a project their lender requires preliminary QS reports for the site. They use the big QS firms in most instances who do a broad report on construction estimates ona unit by unit ad project wide basis. (BMT, Washington Brown, Deppro....I cant define a complete list sorry)
    When the project is complete some builders dont get final reports. But the QS has most of the data already. Its a waste of $$ to then ask a different QS to do a site inspect and final report. They have to start from scratch.

The buyer needs to know sometimes it worth asking the builder who did the QS report. If you learn it was BMT for example the final report from BMT can usually be completed with very little extra information eg Identification of final fitoiut and finishes eg brands of appliances, flooring, window etc.... This means the final report is FAR CHEAPER than the normal fee.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Good tip thanks @Paul@PFI. I hope my builder is using one of the good QS companies and I will get this done

fritzsticker likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia