depreciation for an old unit

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by property inquiries, 26th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. property inquiries

property inquiries New Member

I bought an old unit built in 1979...the previous owner had lived in it for like 8 years, did a bit of renovation when they moved in, changed to wooden floor, fresh paint, later on changed stove and hot water tank...
    because the building is pre-1985, I thought there is no point of getting QS report for depreciation, not much done to the property...

But recently I've received quote from companies doing this depreciation report, guaranteed that it'll worth the money to do it...I guess everyone's situation is different in terms of tax deduction, but when these companies promised that they'll save your tax for whatever you are paying for the report, how does it work? I mean really? not that I'm not trusting them, but are there anything can be depreciated from an old unit? or as long as they say so, then there is no problem?

Has anyone used their schedule to claim tax deduction by yourself? is it easy to use at all?

Thank you in advance for everyone's input!

BMT Tax Depreciation likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Most reputable firms (BMT, Depreciator etc post here regularly) offer a fee that ties beneficts to cost. If they cant find value its often free. Speak to either firm and they will guide you.

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

There will be depreciation worth claiming in that flat. Just send whatever QS you have been talking to a bunch of photos and ask them to estimate how much before you commit. That way you can make an informed decision.

Scott

Nick Valsamis likes this.
  4. Adele

Adele Well-Known Member

@property inquiries
    I had 1 done for a commercial property, 100yo with not much in the way of renovations done to it. Was pleasantly surprised with the amount of deductions I received.

5. GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin Well-Known Member

OP, Depreciator (Scott) used to (and may still) offer a service for older properties, where you just send through photos of depreciable assets from their checklist and provide details of your property. They did a depreciation schedule for a late 1960s IP we own for a very reasonable fee and we were very happy with their service.

I suggest contacting their offices on 1300 660 033 and asking if they still offer this service.

Nick Valsamis likes this.
  6. Proper T

Proper T Member

A bouquet for Depreciator. The reno on my Federation terrace is finally finished. I booked in an inspection and the QS was professional and efficient. Forgot to mention PropertyChat until the last minute but when I did, the generous discount was subtracted from the bill.