depreciation claim and CGT cost base

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by newbie property, 18th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. newbie property

newbie property Active Member

I'm having this silly question here:

Say if I purchased a hot water system for $1500 for my rental property, then claim it as an asset expense (not rental expenses) and claim the cost as a depreciation over the years (ie 1st yr: $200..2nd yr $100..etc according to its effective life and diminishing depreciation in theory)..
    then when I'm selling this property and calculating CGT cost base...does the $1500 treated as a capital cost?

Or does it mean once you've claimed the depreciation of an item , that's it, its cost ($1500 in this case) cannot be added as the cost base of CGT?

Thank you very much!

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Example - Sale of property after 2 years.

HWS Depn Y1 $250 (assuming acquired 1 July) [Rate is 16.66% based on DVM and effective life of 12yr]
    HWS Depn Y2 $208
    WDV at 30 June Y2 is $1500 - $458 = $1042

The proceeds from the sale must be reduced by the $1042 in calculating a capital gain / loss. You cant make a capital gain or loss on depreciable assets.

3. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Nope.

A depreciating asset under the capital allowances system is a separate asset from your IP. It does not affect the cost base of your IP for CGT purposes, s.108-60 ITAA97.

You will have a balancing adjustment for the gain or loss on disposal when the HWS is sold (along with the IP) or scrapped.

4. newbie property

Thank you, Paul! clear explanation!

5. newbie property

Thank you, Rob for the good advice!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia