Deposit & Cooling off period

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by JohnnyS, 23rd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JohnnyS

JohnnyS Member

Hi Guys,

If i've signed a contract, left 10% deposit on the property, but then rescinded the contract on the 5th and final day of the cooling off period before 5pm.

The agent has deposited the 10% before the cooling off period has finished. What is my course of action to retrieve these funds?

Cheers!

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

They'll issue a cheque to you.

The Y-man

3. JohnnyS

JohnnyS Member

Cheers, Just to make it clear, i'm in NSW and the rescission was handled by my solicitor and directed to the vendor's solicitor. I will be contacting my solicitor tomorrow so he can handle all this but just want to get a general overall opinion from the property community.

I explicitly told them not to deposit the cheque until the cooling off period was finished. Oh well, will have to waste time and energy chasing it up.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If it is a standard contract for NSW then it is likely you will be entitled to your money back.

Agents have legal requirements to deposit trust monies in trust accounts once received. They probably couldn't just hold your cheque.

5. JohnnyS

JohnnyS Member

Ahh, i had no idea they had a legal obligation to deposit the money in a trust, that's an error on my behalf. I don't understand why they kept assuring me that the money was in fact not deposited rather than just telling me the truth.

Thanks for the info gents, it's much appreciated!

Cheers!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia