Health & Family Dental implants done in India?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propertunity, 1st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

That'd be great - thanks!!

oracle likes this.
  2. Propertunity

One thing that amuses me in all of this is that many of the well qualified internationally trained dentists, implantologists etc that do the work near me here in AU are all Indian-born.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I bet they don't charge Indian prices.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Mansions and private schooling cost so much more in Australia.

5. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

I believe a certain number of overseas dentists have recruited to work in Australia by some dental surgery chains. My Malaysian dentist had been working in Melbourne in a number of chains. However, having a work and professional ethics that did not quite fit in with Australians were reasons she gave for returning to Malaysia. I believe she was sincere as she talked me out of having a crown capping as my tooth was a weak candidate for it. In contrast an earlier Australian dentist had no problems of doing it whether crowning was appropriate or not.

Although the dentist talked herself out of some work for me, she gained another patient in my wife. From my discussions with close friends in Kuala Lumpur, her fees were very reasonable.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I know several Indian Dentist's longterm-- mates of my wife that after trying to pass the board exams 2 times--ended up working as a Dental assistant's or within Dental sales..A lot do pass first time -but a lot don't..
    Just something to think about ..

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2018
    Shogun likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Getting recommendations is the best way to go.
    Am trying to make my next holiday to Thailand
    (Dr Cherry comes well recommended)

8. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

I'll put in a plug for these guys...in Phnom Pehn Cambodia.
    Roomchang | Roomchang Dental Hospital
    Used them for years, world class facility, outstanding dentists and a caring practise.
    Unbelievable low rates - even for SE Asia.
    From memory all implants and caps are made on site.
    Did some excellent work on our son's broken front teeth after the Aussie dentist we saw said nothing could be done....
    Only 11hrs total travel time from Brisbane, good hotels nearby.
    Puts a smile on my dial...:):)

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2018
    nobhouse likes this.
  9. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I have had extensive dental work done in Thailand - and subsequently fixed up here in Australia. No word of a lie, I reckon I'm close to $80,000 on dental work, with approx. $20,000 still to go to have 3 more molars added.

All I can say is, that its all well and good to go overseas and get a 1-2 week fix up that *might* hold. But the expertise of the 2 dentists that I have been working with over the last 18 months to fully reconstruct my 'bite', chewing action and to stop the clenching and the headaches is not comprisable being done in Australia.

I have 2 of the biggest dental implants you can get to hold my 4x front upper teeth bridge. They are 18mm long, and took 12mths for the bone to fully heal. I have had to 'eat soft' for that time until I had my final bridge fitted recently (its even titanium reinforced at the rear to overcompensate the clenching). I can feel the implants slightly when I can sneeze as they go right up into my sinus - but geez they're strong. Im not game to bite into an apple, but they have been able to allow me to venture out and eat food again.

I would research, research, research! I did and I still got it wrong.

pinkboy

Redwing, Shogun and DaveM like this.
  10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There are probably stories of dentists doing shoddy work here in Australia too. But the difference is you will have recourse through the courts etc and it is closer to go and get things fixed.

Beano, AndyPandy and 158 like this.
  11. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

I'd definitely get it done in India. It goes without saying you will need to get every opinion possible about the dentist. Possibly from people who have had implants from that dentist for atleast a year. I reckon you'd be looking at atleast a $1000 per implant (molars) if you go for a quality implant. There is no way you can get a full molar implant done in 2 weeks. However, have you thought on if you really want an implant ?

The reasons I backed off :
    • 100% no smoking of any sort for at least 6 months.
    • Other health complications could make it a bit iffy (diabetes etc).
    • Mixed opinion on implants by various dentists. Some are of the opinion that if you can live alrightish (chew and bite on food sufficiently - then you are better off without).
    • IIRC it takes a minimum of 45 days for the implant to marry the bone. So two visits to India at a minimum.
    • Earlier this year I got a quote from various dentists :rolleyes: ... dentists in North and South India both asked me to pick from three varieties of implants - poor mans choice (local made implants), middle mans choice (made in another country) and the rich mans choice (made in a scandinavian (Sweden?) country). As with other things, you'll get what you pay for (but in India you've also got to make sure you actually get what you pay for). Since am never mucking with me teeth again, I inquired about the obvious choice. The rich mans implant - all up would cost me about a 1000 AUD. Now that INR is tanking it probably is at 950 AUD.

Propertunity likes this.
  12. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Can you guys tell me what is the cause of this? Is it from just not brushing properly all your life? Or getting in a fight and braking teeth? Or .... what's it from?

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating getting my teeth fixed too. I've not got any quotes yet, but knew I'd be looking at around $5-6k per tooth & like @Propertunity think I'd need 5, so I'm following this conversation with great interest.
    I can't answer for the others, but I had amalgam fillings that kept falling out. Each time the filling was replaced, they drilled more of the tooth away. Eventually the tooth just broke away.

14. Jim Barry

Jim Barry Member

I can personally recommend AIDER in Brisbane. If you don’t live in Brisbane I would highly recommend a visit here for a consultation before going overseas. They are located close to the airport. My wife recently had all-on-four (entire top teeth replaced with implants) and she is very happy. They have a state of the art facility and are happy to show you around.
    https://www.aiderdentalclinic.com/

15. Jim Barry

Jim Barry Member

And the whole point of my post, which I didn't mention, was that it was very (very) reasonably priced. We have private health cover which helped. When you factor the cost of multiple international flights and accommodation I think you may find this comparable.

16. geoffw

@Jim Barry can you give a ballpark figure of what sort of costs were involved (before health cover) for your wife's procedure please?

17. Jim Barry

Jim Barry Member

~$26,000, much less out of pocket

18. geoffw

Ok thanks.

My dental insurance has a $2k cap, so it wouldn't go too far.

I'm not sure what the overseas ones would cost, but that gives a good base for comparison, thank you.

Francesco and Jim Barry like this.
  19. Propertunity

In my case 3 things:
    1. No fluoride in the town water supply in those days
    2. Poor genetics - mother had all her teeth removed by the time she was 20
    3. Fear of going to the dentist - as a young kid I used to freak out (really badly)....what a drama queen!

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

No, you're not a drama queen. I remember the pain to this day. I'm still afraid of the dentist.

Another thing I forgot to mention is poor genetics. Mum lost most of her teeth when she was pregnant, & that's when I first had real problems with the crumbling teeth that were ruined when I was young. I was told some time ago that the baby can sometimes deplete calcium & cause dental issues.

Propertunity likes this.