Demolition and sewer capping

Discussion in 'Development' started by RickProp, 9th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RickProp

RickProp Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I am doing a knock down and rebuild and arranging the demolition. We have requested gas and electricity abolishment as I believe this is needed prior to demolition.

The existing house is on a slab and we will be building on a slab. The question I have is that some demolition companies state they will cut and cap the sewer and others don't mention it. Most people seem to recommend this on the forums but I spoke with a builder mate yesterday and he said that the demolition company will rip up the sewer so why cap it?

What is the reason for capping it when it is ripped up, where would it be capped?

My mate also did not hire a toilet but tapped directly into his sewer pipe and put a little shed and toilet inside it and plumbed a water line to it. This seemed a good idea to save toilet hire costs if the build is going to take a long time. If it is capped I assume this will be tough to do?

Also, one demolition company is asking if I want an asbestos clearance certificate, this will cost $275, they are removing the asbestos, do I need this or is it for piece of mind.

Can you please let me know your thoughts on the above.

Thanks.

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

What are the next door Neighbours like on both sides and behind and in the street only takes one to complain then you have to explain,myself I would cap it off ..
    imho..

3. RickProp

RickProp Well-Known Member

Thanks @willair, I am not sure about the neighbours. Both on the sides are elderly and own the house, owner occupier. Why does it matter what the neighbours are like?

What is the purpose of capping the sewer, so dirt, concrete etc does not get in?

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Rick ,depending on the scale of the new build and someone breaks the sewer line in the building process ,it's just safer to seal the system off till the final rough in but I walked away from the building game over 20 years ago so things may have changed..
    With the neighbours ,some people like to complain from my experience once the safety signs go out front and the demo and dust starts..imho..

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

IMHO this is a better solution than having a hired loo which stinks on site.

A plumber will set up the temp services - water & sewer connection to the toilet using the existing junction from the main. If the new house may not utilise this connection, it will get capped if it is not used.

As for the asbestos clearance certificate, I would rather have one to give to the builder (to absolve you from any WHS liability). If it wasn't done properly, they will have the details of the company which cleared it and have deeper pockets than you.

willair likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

So the smell doesn’t get out?

Sewer at our back blocked and the repairs were done from the manhole next door. Once the cover was removed the smell was atrocious.

Check with your local council. There will be regulations regarding this issue.

willair, wylie and Sackie like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The sewer line should be cut back near the boundary and capped with a stand pipe so that it's easy to find again for creating the new sewer run in. Reticulated sewerage systems need to be capped so that no waste can come out. No plumber would risk their license by not capping it.

And yes pay for the asbestos certification. You don't want any doubt.

willair, wylie and R.C. like this.
  8. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

I can confirm everything Westminster said - absolutely right and good advice