QLD Demolish house at Coorparoo, Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Bertone, 2nd Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bertone

Bertone Member

Hello, I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this question.

I am new to the process of selling a property, and am hoping to get some advice for my in-laws. They have an 850 sq metre flat block opposite a park and about a ten minute walk to Coorparoo train station. They are looking to downsize and wonder if they would likely achieve a better sale price if they demolish the house and just sell the land. Its a 4 bed house about 40 years old, with only minor improvements. They have noticed that larger blocks of land seem to be in high demand close to the city.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't knock it down. I'd put it in the hands of an agent who has developers on his books. And that would be most good established agents.

With the right sized block of land, your parents will likely have an offer by this time tomorrow if you call an agent today.

We called an agent once to get an idea of what our large block would possibly sell for, and within 24 hours he had a verbal offer for us. It was cheekily low and we just said "no thanks", so within the next 24 hours it had increased by $200k. Still this offer was roughly what the block was worth "as is" and we were "giving away" the premium for having a developable block.

This agent knew we were just testing the waters, and knew we had no plans to sell it at that time, but the way he did it was to put it to some developers he knew, and one wanted it.

3. Bertone

Bertone Member

I appreciate the quick response! I don't want to call agents quite yet - as it is they drop pamphlets all the time and its quite annoying for them. I guess the house does have renovation potential for someone who wanted to take the time, they could almost double the size and still have a big yard.

4. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

We have recently been through this in Sydney and are about to go through it again.

The good advice we received was to renovate and stage the house - even if we were confident that it would be a development block.

We were also advised not to get DAs or the like.

The idea was to sell the dream - you are never sure who will buy it. Some developers may pay extra because they envisage something you don’t, some will need to rent the house out while they get organised and sometimes it will be a family looking for a big block with future options.

A renovated place will appeal to them all - unrenovated may be a problem or indicate a desperate seller.

KayTea and TAJ like this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The number one danger of demolishing it to sell as vacant land is that I'm pretty sure they will lose their CGT exemption as it would no longer be their PPOR it would be vacant land.

Give it a small freshen up. Any body that wants to knock down and build will be fine with that and people that want to live in it for awhile or rent out will be happy too.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If its a splitter block and they don't want to develop it, I'd probably sell it as is but get subdivision approval which doesn't cost much. It will attract the small developers and they may get a small premium for the approval in place. Of course this is assuming it's a good splitter site. Impossible to know without seeing it.

7. Bertone

Bertone Member

Thanks for your advice. I don't know if it would be any good as a split block, its a uniform shape but narrow - about 55 x 15 I think. I personally think they should rent it out because I assume a big block close to city will only go up in value, but they seem intent on selling.

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Can't be split then. Dam.

9. wylie

Could put a second house in the back though? I'd be asking @RPI what could be done with it under the city plan before deciding how or who to market it to.

10. Bertone

Bertone Member

I think a second house at the back would mean shifting the house, or demolishing. There is no room for a driveway to the back currently.

11. wylie

Very likely, but that doesn't stop a developer from buying the block knowing he can develop it and add something at the back.

KayTea likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree @wylie, I'd definitely be assessing all my options for the land so I know it's real value before marketing.

13. Bertone

Bertone Member

True. Anyway, from what I have seen advertised recently I think they will make enough to downsize and have plenty leftover, which is what they want.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

But why leave money on the table if you can take more off? Not saying there is more money on the table, but worth to be certain imo.

15. Bertone

Bertone Member

Yes, definitely. They were thrilled to see the latest BCC valuation of about $750k value, but I'm sure its worth a good deal more to the right person.

16. wylie

Check your inbox.

17. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

pm me the address and I will have a look at it for you

Darcy Pettigrew likes this.
  18. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Knockdown rebuilds on big blocks are selling for high prices in coorparoo. It takes around 12 months in planning and approvals so keeping the house on there would give the buyer a rental property in the interim - and open up more buyers as their borrowing capacity would be greater when factoring in potential rental income.
    I've started putting the word out to sell my coorparoo blocks and there isn't much in the way of vacant land for sale around there. And nothing of your parents' size at all.

wylie likes this.
  19. 16491

16491 New Member

Agreed - from a developer's POV, keeping the house means cash flow during the DA process so that's a positive. If the house presents any heritage value, a developer will want a clear site to avoid any headaches down the track.

That said, any large trees that are obviously within a potential developer's building envelope is recommended to be removed as it will become infinitely more valuable to the developer (council's are usually tougher on developers when it comes to tree removal applications)

20. Bertone

Bertone Member

It occurred to me recently that a second level would probably have city views. Lots of options to consider. (why city views are so prized has always been a bit lost on me..)