Demo questions...

Discussion in 'Development' started by Eyespy, 14th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Eyespy

Eyespy Member

Hi,
    Just wondering how clear site should be left after demo? Contract says "block brought back to natural environment". It doesn't look like it is to me but this is my first demo and I'm not sure if expectations are too high (see picks)...

Initial quote for demo was 23.5k, then an extra 3.6k as some cladding was found to be asbestos before demo commenced. I was aware of this and agreed to it prior to any sitework. Weather, demo company staffing issues (fighting among crew) etc blew out job to approx 3 weeks (quoted 2 weeks which was much longer than other quotes)and they needed to do weekend work to complete on time. Towards the end they found 2x asbestos pits that I was told would add approx 1.5k to cost. Final part of demo found one other pit but amended bill came in at 37.5k. when I queried this and asked for tip receipts they took 2k off but I think I might be paying more than I should be. They said I'm also paying for extra equipment hire. Tbh I only saw one guy on a digger for 2 days for removal of the last pit. I'm interested to get feedback from others about whether this increase in price sounds right. I don't mind paying if that's what the cost genuinely was but I don't want to be paying extra to make up for weekend rates or some other expenses due to initial under-quoting or poor time/contingency management on the businesses part. They also removed 2 clotheslines which were never part of the demo but have agreed to replace one. Located in Newcastle.

The photos are what demo looks like "completed".

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The last pic looks pretty standard for a final clean up.
    The first pic looks to have some sort of footing attached, there shouldn't be any footings or overly large bits left at all.

What size pits are we talking ? As that sounds like a LOT for each, (assuming an old Teltra pit 2ft long & narrow), did you actually "approve each pit removal" ?

Pay for the asbestos $3,600, two pits $1,500 and $750 for the third pit, I'd also pay the quoted price and argue the balance and HOW they have dreamed this up !
    A quote is a quote, unless there's additions agreed to....

The old clothes line post sticking up is an OH&S hazard and tbey deserve a polite email asking what the :mad:

craigc and Tufan Chakir like this.
  3. Eyespy

Eyespy Member

Thanks for the feedback Stoffo.

In terms of approving the pit, he removed the first 2 which were located under a slab for the laundry. I'm not sure how big they were but he told me they were "the second worst" he'd ever seen. There was a second tiled concrete slab that had been a porch that he anticipated would have more pits underneath them. When I asked if we could leave the tiled slab in place and use it for a BBQ area he replied that he was legally required to remove any asbestos he found, and that he could see asbestos through a large opening under the tiled area. I was under the impression that I had no choice but to remove it.

When the invoice came through with the extra 10k owing and I spoke to him about it he then advised that there had only been one other pit found. When I queried why 2 pits were 1.5k, while an additional pit was 8.5k extra and I asked for the tip fees he then reduced the fee by the 2k. I haven't received any receipts yet but he did amend the invoice to also read for "additional truck and equipment"...

This is also a drain that has sort of been cleared but I'm wondering if I will have drainage issues now as the block is a bit sloping and half of it has been removed but now it just stops in the middle of the block.. This is up against the boundary fence...

Attached Files:

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Why did you demo, what is the plan here ?
    PPOR knock down rebuild or development ?

5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@Eyespy
    it doesn't look like the cleanest job i've seen
    generally, all building materials are removed.and the site raked and leveled
    the following trades don't want to be digging through leftover crap, like steel posts, concrete or brick footings

19393 004.JPG 19393 005.JPG 19393 007.JPG

Westminster likes this.
  6. Eyespy

Eyespy Member

Wow BMC, that's a huge difference to our cleanup

7. Eyespy

Eyespy Member

BMC do you mind me asking what your demo cost you and the materials that the building were made from. Mine was mostly timber weatherboard from about 1920's. Demo company was going to recycle most things... Some brick stumpings, tin roof, and unfortunately asbestos

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

i have demolished a few homes now and I expect a clean block as per bmc

I just got quoted $15500 for demo, no asbestos, have two massive trees on site, these also included in demo price.

Why would you be paying over time rates.

Whats in the contract/your quote is what I would be paying

Westminster likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd be pretty unhappy with how it's been left but it does depend what was in your quote and what was agreed upon. Generally no extra work should be done unless you have agreed first, price given and agreed upon. So I do think they are having a lend of you but as to the rest it will depend on what your agreement lists.

craigc, MTR, wylie and 1 other person like this.