Demanding Tenant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by larrylarry, 8th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I have demanding tenants in one of my properties. They wanted a lot of things fixed and complained a lot to my PM. My PM said they come with good references (stable jobs) but very demanding. PM suggested that perhaps I suggest that they leave if I don't wish to agree to their many requests.

I do feel that these tenants think they deserve a brand new house with no issues, and for which I have fixed most of them.

What would you do?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Request examples?

3. larrylarry

Clearing all the trees because they believe they attract flies and insects by virtue of their fruits...it's a 860sqm land with big yard. They complained that they have to wait for new oven to be installed and they have to take time out for tradies.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If something needs fixing - fix it.

If they want improvements - consider if they will improve the asset or improve the rentability for the next tenant and depending on cost, consider asking for more rent. That might mean ripping up the old lease and signing a new one by mutual agreement. Check that the agent doesn't try to take a week's rent for changing the amount.

I wonder if the weekly rent amount can simply be crossed out and new one written in with both tenant and landlord initialing it?

larrylarry likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Tell them you can have the agent let the oven installer in. The tenant doesn't have to be there.

If you don't want the trees cut tell them "no".

Rugrat likes this.
  6. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

It depends on what kind of demands they are making (ie is it basic maintainence that should be done anyway, or is it upgrading existing stuff); and whether they are demanding, notifying or requesting.
    I dont like people 'demanding' things. But I always have encouraged all my tenants to notify me of all issues as they become aware of them; if and when they got rectified depending on the issue in question. I also have no problem with them requesting stuff, so long as they understood I have the right to say 'no'.
    The fact that you said 'fixed' makes me think that these may be maintainence issues.

But if they are truly acting entitled and demanding and expecting stuff outside of basic home maintenaince, then I would possibly be considering getting new tenants.

7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If they're asking for improvements beyond what they originally leased, then the answer is no, unless they're happy with a rent increase as well.

If it's basic maintenance that would generally be the owners responsibility (normal wear and tear), then I've got no problem with it. Better the tenant makes you aware of minor problems before they become major ones.

Clearing trees and garden maitenance is a rubbish request. They chose to live in a property with trees and a garden, their lease makes them responsible for its upkeep. They're only allowed to remove trees with your permission.

Let them know they can be there when the oven is replaced, or not, their choice. Or they can not have the new oven.

JacM and wylie like this.
  8. larrylarry

I will speak to agent. She's been awesome I must say, keeping me posted throughout...never fail to respond in a timely fashion but it seems the tenants are giving us grief.

9. larrylarry

I think it's their attitude that comes across as demanding. I have paid for all the fixing and that's no problem but the requests to have trees removed and other comments on the property after they leased it suggests to me that they are trying to 'perfect' this place.

10. larrylarry

Yes they knew I have a big yard with trees and I allowed them to lease with a pet clause. I paid for lawn mowing and cleaning up before they moved in so they knew what they are getting into. Of course, with trees there's bound to be insects, birds, flies (come on), mozzies etc.

legallyblonde and Perthguy like this.
  11. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Inform the PM that unless the tenant request is a requirement under the lease or if they as the agent feel it is appropriate, then you are not to be bothered.

Stop the frivolous requests even reaching you. That is what you are paying them for.

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Just say no!
    Request denied.

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree. Inspect the property, rent it then get it "fixed". o_O

I find this a lot with new tenants. They seem be finding out what kind of landlord you are... hard (don't fix anything) or soft (fix everything). I think if they figure you are hard, they will back off. I they think you are soft, they will keep asking. This has happened with every single on of my tenants in Melbourne. As soon as they move in they start demanding. I always fix anything that is an urgent repair but usually say 'no' to the rest of it at the start. Later on I will replace some things if I think it's necessary.

I have found this not so simple in real life. Example: one tenant whinged on and on about the a/c in the lounge not working (and many other things). I finally got rid of the tenant by putting the rent up $5 per week. At the exit inspection, the items she reported as faulty were all working perfectly. She was just lodging complaints to present to the tribunal at a bond hearing. :mad:

Exit report highlighted everything in working order. Presented to the tribunal, we got awarded half the bond for damage done to the house. That's a fairly good result in Vic.

Sackie, BigKahuna and wylie like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If they're fruit trees you may not be aware of an obligation from the DPI to control fruit fly.

15. larrylarry

I will check but they were complaining about fruits or berries from lilly pillies.

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

AFAIK lili pili does not attract fruit fly.

17. larrylarry

Coco palms, a few of them.

18. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

I've had this kind of tenant. They look at the house and love it. As soon as they move in, they complain about EVERYTHING and want to change everything. Say no. If they don't accept your 'no', tell them they are free to break the lease and go. These types of tenants are better gone imho.

The trouble is that some real estate agents don't want to deal with aggro tenants, and to make life easy for themselves they lean on the you to acquiesce to the tenant's demands.

At one ACAT hearing to deal with a horrible tenant, the presiding member suggested that I might want to change managing agent, because they had bent over backwards to help the tenant. I did change managing agent.

19. larrylarry

The trees are at the far end of the property (back fence) and quite a distance from the rear of property... Just checked the other rentals in the area and they don't allow pets. Thanks again for your comments. I am not unreasonable, in fact I'm a little soft. Will let you know what we decide later after discussing with agent.

BigKahuna likes this.
  20. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there are some tenants out there are greedy scammers. I've got one who just moved out--thank goodness. I never, ever want to hear from her again.

Beanie Girl and Sackie like this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.