Delayed settlement due to Banks & Broker - options?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by UrbanNomad, 24th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. UrbanNomad

UrbanNomad New Member

Hi Folks,

We’ve just bought a family home in Brisbane and are going through the settlement from hell.
    Initially we had issues with our conveyancers who were uncommunicative and didn’t follow instructions. Now we’re 5 days past settlement and have discovered issues with the bank.
    Essentially, my partner and I are leaving our banks and going to a third lender with our existing investments in order to purchase this home.
    We submitted our documents weeks ago, however apparently the loans haven’t been discharged and some of the paperwork was incorrect. Again, we’ve found this out 5 days after settlement was originally scheduled.

My question is: who’s responsibility was it to ensure everything was ready for settlement and how was settlement able to be scheduled without the banks being ready?

We’ve already lost $3,000 in penalty fees so advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Your responsibility first up.

But it depends on what was wrong. I had a client print a mortgage double sided and sent in. Delayed settlement by 5 days but the bank reimbursed him for costs as he blamed them for the delay.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have some very second rate conveyancers. Our lawyers were very proactive when there was a delay ~ one of the forms was missing a signature but the lender didn't tell anyone until a few day before settlement :rolleyes: Our lawyers went nuts, we had them on one phone, broker on the other.... in the end, we went in to the lender's office to sign as they were closer than the broker's office, and by the time we could have picked up the faxed form, signed it and returned it would have hit settlement day.

The Y-man

Archaon likes this.
  4. UrbanNomad

UrbanNomad New Member

Hi Terry, the long and the short is that we sent the documents to our broker at the beginning of the month. He said that he would ensure they were completed correctly and send them through to the banks. A week later we resent them at his request.

We later discovered that some of the documents that our new bank had to be ‘originals’, however this wasn’t indicated on the document check list and no one told us until last week. We also repeatedly chased up a document that was missing from the checklist... a document our broker didn’t send until last week.

He also forwarded our discharge to the banks on Monday last week, even though settlement was due on Friday. The new bank then sent the discharge forms onto our old banks on the Thursday. Our old banks advised us on Tuesday they never received them, so we’ve spent the last three days on the phone, chasing discharges and praying for the best.

5. Terry_w

See my thread on banks delaying discharge.

In 18 years as a broker I cannot think of any time original documents needed to be provided to a bank, other than certificate of title

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Registration of mortgage? This one is a pain in QLD.

7. Terry_w

Yes mortgages need to be originals