Delayed settlement - Builders Terms H&L package

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Bris developer, 12th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bris developer

Bris developer Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I purchased a of block of land in Bris from a land developer 3 months back. I was able to get "builder's terms" as the builder knew the land salesperson quite well and land sales in the estate were perhaps a bit slow.

Builder has built most of the house. I am short of funds to complete the land settlement which is due in a month. was expecting funds to come in from a different property sale but that fell through

my question is... can a buyer of a house in Qld delay settlement for 2-3 months and you pay the penalty interest on the contract price (purchase price of land)? in a way, coughing up 9-11% penalty interest on a block of land isnt that bad anyway esp while land prices are going up and if you are short of funds to settle

can developer refuse.... i know with normal house purchases, they may keep your deposit and sell to another buyer... but in this case there is a dwelling constructed on the land

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Are you able to get an equity release from another property?

3. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Read your contract

4. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Builder has built most of the house before the land has settled?

That doesn't make sense, usually the builder won't start until you own the land, or the builder will buy the land build and sell, settlement on both the land and house at completion of the build.