Definition clarification - benchtops

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Befuddled, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

I attended a pre-settlement inspection on an OTP purchase today.

I noticed that contrary to the initial building floor plans there was no bench top (the island). The rest of the kitchen around the walls is present. When quizzed about this, the inspector lady on site (acting on behalf of the vendor) said that the initial floor plan is subject to change depending on council approval, and that the final approved floor plan is what gets built.

The schedule of finishes on the contract lists the following inclusion: "Polyurethane kitchen cupboards with Caesar stone benchtops"

My question revolves around the definition of a kitchen bench top. Does it include the island bit (as I call it) or does the rest of the kitchen aligning the walls suffice?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

"Benchtops" to me merely indicates the material the tops of ANY bench - regardless of against the wall or free floating.

The Y-man

3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hang on they left out an entire island bench?? I don't see why that would have been removed at BL stage for any other reason than to cut down cost, assuming there was enough space for it.

I personally tend to do more L shaped wall kitchens anyway in small apartments but an island bench tends to be pretty desirable if you've got the space to accommodate

I wouldn't be happy with it personally, have you spoken to your solicitor?

Re your question, they could certainly successfully argue that they provided a kitchen with stone tops, I think the question you should be should be asking is whether they're entitled to remove something like an island bench, that's hardly a Floorplan issue

4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, unless otherwise detailed in your contract, the island bench may not be included. Go and speak to your legal representative who assisted you in the purchase and see what their advise is.

5. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Thanks for you input @sanj . I'll definitely raise this with my solicitor. Waiting for the building inspection report to pose to her in one go.