Deferring mortgage payments due to COVID-19

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by albanga, 27th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

I assume there would still be a 'record' if applying via the same bank in the future though @Terry_w? Wondering if they would issue a 'please explain'. Obviously it would show up digging through statements.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes it certainly will be recorded

wilso8948 likes this.
  3. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

CBA
    "Will the deferral impact my customer's credit rating?

No. The deferral of repayments is under compassionate assistance, and will not be reported to the credit reporting bodies."

Terry_w likes this.
  4. wilso8948

Thanks @Brady. Looking at impacts if you were to say buy or refinance in 6-12 months time.

Brady likes this.
  5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Can't guarantee anything in the future, but would be extremely surprised if all went back to normal, loan term extended, back to working, loan services that there is an issue.
    Put it this way I've done it for 1 of my loans, tenants job impacted likely lower rent.
    If this was an issue later on for me, there will be a lot of noise.

wilso8948 and Terry_w like this.
  6. Terry_w

What happened before all this was lenders looked at only the last 3 to 6 months conduct when refinancing. So missed payments before this didn't matter as long as not a default on the credit report.

wilso8948 likes this.
  7. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

CBA knows/looks at more than just 3-6months if it's an existing/closed CBA facility, system automatically does it which can pick-up further risks outside of actually policy (being 3-6 months pending facility).

But in saying that I still believe if it's just deferred and then no other issues, I would be very disappointed if they built in corona deferrals into the 'system' as an issue.

Terry_w and wilso8948 like this.
  8. wilso8948

Unlikely our employment will be impacted. Tenants though? Unsure. Waiting to see.

Had considered (if cashflow from IPs remain) trying my luck at an extension and parking the funds in an offset. Current cash buffers are a little low for my liking.

Concern was impact if I were to say refinance early next year.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Thats not the intention. Its offensive really given the Commonwealth are assisting banks to fund these hardship cases. You could also take jobseeker from Centrelink and repay that later too I suppose.

Joynz, Tyler Durden and wilso8948 like this.
  10. wilso8948

Whilst in some ways I agree I am trying to look at it in every angle. How does this differ entirely from a refinance seeing as though banks are capitalizing interest?

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Has anybody done this yet for a resi loan? I'd be interested to know the experience, what level of documentation requested, etc.

I'll certainly look to do it if tenants stop paying rent, even if on paper we can probably just keep up enough cashflow without burning savings.

12. Revolution2020

Revolution2020 Member

Dear Y Man,
    As an experienced skipper and well educated member of the property and financial industry I am curious what your thoughts are of all banks keeping in line with federal and international fractional reserve banking legislation of having a minimum of 10% reserves to loan books. No doubt as the wolves come to the door 100's of thousands or perhaps millions in just Australia will dip into savings and super.
    I'm not envisioning a credit default sham such as GFC or Great Depression bank run and Soros getting imprisoned for fraud and the big wigs make flight to their deserted islands with a ship load of ex SAS, US marines and Gurkhas as securtity and the economy goes rudder less into another GD.
    Surely, even you as a very experienced salty capitan must be gripping the helm a little nervously as we enter these unchartered choppy waters.

13. Revolution2020

Revolution2020 Member

It's called the ugly carrot.
    Very tempting but with deflation set to be around for awhile and interest rates to be close to zero for quite some time they will be maximising their profit from your hard work and capital.
    Refuse if you can.

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I don't think "nervous" is the word ~ being "fascinated" is probably more apt as a famous Vulcan said.

I think being in the fortunate situation of being better financially placed than previous prangs lets me stand back a bit and take more of an "observer view".

I would certainly hope (and expect) banks to stay within regulations - they've burnt enough money on this so we assume they have learnt their lessons.

Having said that whether they maintain actions that are ethical from every stakeholders viewpoint is a different matter.

I can see the complexity (as with any system) even within our scenario of the various players in the field:

Pandemic > job losses > tenants > landlords > loans > bank profit > dividends > our income

So while there looks like policies coming that may help tenants (eg avoid eviction, pay no rent), and landlords (repayment holidays) these will stop the cash flow for banks and in line with regulatory requirements hold back div payments - which by the way will affect thousands of retirees who rely on div income!

The Y-man

15. Revolution2020

Revolution2020 Member

Nice to hear your refreshing honesty Y-Man.
    You don't have to get in to nitty gritties but surely bank dividends are not a significant portion of your passive retirement income or for that matter anyone retired?!!

16. Revolution2020

Revolution2020 Member

As in pretty well every scenario whatever the infinite possibilities, humanity and society is structured in the 21st century the bank wins every time. They cannot lose, every human or business is below them..
    If my business, your or any other goes bankrupt we default and have an x for 5 years( maybe wrong?) and any assets and capital goes to the banks as priority any scraps left over go to the lucky businesses to share.
    They take risk, over leverage etc and the government bails them out.
    At least with this one the government is bailing out small and medium businesses. I am very keen to know where all this stimulus money is coming from and if it means a life time of debt for our nation and its citizens.

17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

For us, the bank divs form about 20% of our non-work income.

For many retirees and investors (including those with money in super funds), I figure the bank makes up a sizeable chunk of the ASX200 - so they often indirectly hold a big chunk of these (because they will go for the "big blue chips").

The Y-man

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My MIL relies solely on one particular bank's shares for her income. She tops up with part pension.

She has no choice because her husband decided to leave "his" shares in a trust and allow her a dollar limit twice per year. No adjustment for inflation either. Twenty years later, she manages quite well.

What annoys me is how he didn't think she could manage her own finances and is still controlling her from beyond the grave. She was in full time work until she had to retire too, so not like she's unable to manage her own finances. :rolleyes::mad:

19. Terry_w

This is not adequate provision and she could have challenged his will or made a family provision claim. She might still be able to do something actually. Perhaps legal advice is worth a shot.

20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Terry_w .

She's not going without and actually takes the lower end of the range allowed to be taken, except when she wants something done on her house. But if it was an issue, we certainly would look at taking it further.

She's keen on leaving as much as she can for her children. Why? One doesn't talk to her, one would spend it unwisely.

What annoys me most is the way she was stopped from having any say in it. It's not right.

It's funny though because last time she was at our house and I think it was Ms Berejiklian fronting a media spot about the bushfires. My MIL said "I think that sort of job should be done by a man". After I picked myself up from the floor, I challenged her (politely) on this attitude. So she's a product of her generation but my own mother was born only six years later, and she was very much her own woman.

The big difference between my (late) mother and my MIL is the attitude of the husbands. Chalk and cheese.

Terry_w likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.