Defensive Holdings

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by izzy16, 26th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts on defensive holdings, and why they've selected the ones they have. Also keen to hear if anyone chooses not to include any, and are 100% equities or similar.

I'm thinking of going 85/15 with my portfolio (85% Australian equities / 15% defensive).

EQUITIES:
    70% big LICs (ARG, AFI, WHF, MLT etc)
    15% direct buys into dividend aristocrats (SOL, APE, maybe Ramsay health etc)

DEFENSIVE:
    7.5% - GOLD - ETF Securities Physical Gold
    7.5% - Vanguard Australian Government Bond Index Fund

I actually have no idea on the 15% defensive stocks which is why I'm stimulating discussion on the topic. I guess it feels right to not put all your eggs in one basket (equities) and I've heard gold is a slow and steady performer and govt bonds are a pretty safe bet too.

I also realise this portfolio would be 100% Australian, still undecided on whether to branch into international stocks. I suppose this would be a defensive play too...

2. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Im getting a little defensive now and have both Vanguard bonds and a little bit of gold. I got into Vanguard Aussie bonds when their price fell post Trump. Using abcbullion goldsaver account to buy in gold price dips.

I was also looking at these bad boys when we have the next emerging market crisis
    iShares J.P. Morgan USD Emerging Markets Bond (AUD Hedged) E | IHEB

3. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Depends on the definition and purpose of defensive:
    )) Equities: e.g. consumer staples, blue chips, companies with competitive advantage, value buys, high yield
    + Staying in the market whilst minimising losses
    - Capital loss
    )) Bonds
    + lower risk to capital erosion
    - out of market that no one can predict, liquidity risk
    )) Cash
    + safer, liquid
    - low rate of return
    )) Precious metals
    + ultimate safety - more for SHTF scenarios
    - no income

Anne11, Perthguy and Nodrog like this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Defensive, why bother. As long as most of the income keeps coming in when the **** hits the fan then what's the issue? Other than dividend paying shares the only defensive asset I need is a Cash buffer to top up any potential temporary dividend shortfall.

Here's my idea of defensive. Oh no they say, here comes those dreaded charts again:eek:. When will he stop:D.

IMG_0057.JPG

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's a interesting spread and depending on the timeframe you will focus on,and what will inform your trading decisions?..
    Myself i would bump up the defensive too just below 30%,and not one cent in anything in gold,but first pick any top asx listed most exdiv now,and run a daily profit and loss over a monthly basic while analysing the result then settle on a trading style,if as so many can't and fall into the 80%--20% trap if you can work out a trading style and stick too it then the easy part done.."IMHO"..