Defect report shows bathroom waterproofing issues

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by PCD123, 5th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PCD123

PCD123 Member

We have obtained a defect report for an apartment building we would like to purchase.
    Apparently the builder is rectifying all issues (waiting for the paperwork confirming this)

So the main issue seems to be bathroom waterproofing, though only in some units, not the one we want to buy. From my research it seems to be a major issue in the building industry. I guess what I am wanting to know is, if the builder confirms it's all being fixed then can we feel comfortable that we should be ok to purchase this apartment.

I assume the remedial works might be a bit noisy when they do go ahead?

Any insight from someone been through the same or industry pros would be appreciated.

2. PCD123

PCD123 Member

Actually - most of the issues seem to be mould on 3 of the units bathroom ceilings. It is unclear the reason for this - though may be due to the ensuite above tiles not being graded properly...
    Any how would be great to understand any one else's thoughts on this

3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Probably due to poor ventilation in the bathrooms

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

How did they "defect" the waterproofing and yet it got an occ cert ? Or is it a typical report that cautions we cant inspect the membrane so we will qualify our report ?

5. PCD123

PCD123 Member

Not sure on this one. The report was created by a 3rd party under contract from the strata committee, the comment against the defect is "more exploration needed. Could be ventilation or waterproofing" The building is now 5 years old. They went around and looked at all the units and took notes of all the defects.

Moisture rating was low against the mould.

6. PCD123

PCD123 Member

Thank you