Deductibility of vehicle

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by JesseT, 21st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

I have recently been considering updating my car and just had some questions regarding whether or not I am in the position to be able to claim the expenses.

I am employed full time PAYG as a heavy vehicle mechanic and currently claim travel to and from work for carrying tools.

I also operate under my ABN privately in spare time, maybe only $2,000 income a year but I require a ute for this work. (Mobile mechanic) I could increase this if necessary.

Is there a threshold of business income/operating hours in order to be able to register the vehicle for business use and claim all the expenses?

As an investor I will avoid bad debt at all costs but if I was able to purchase a 'new' used car with a line of credit (split from the PPOR) and claim the expenses legally, I sure could do with an upgrade.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

As far as I know you could only claim the percentage that is ACTUALLY business use. So if you only use it for 5hrs a week for your business and 20hrs privately then it's 25% claimable.
    You really would only be able to claim if you only use it for your company.
    I'm not an accountant - you get my 2 cents advice free :)

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.