Decking, garage, stairs and window frames

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by jins13, 9th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your help so far with my maintenance issues!! Just need some advice for a couple of things that need to be fixed in the near future.
    - Decking: Was quoted $3500 to remove old deck at the rear of the property and to build a complete new treated pine deck. From looking at the old deck, it seems like the overall structure seems alright and I just need to remove and replace the top bits only. I checked Bunnings and treated pine decking starts from $8.24 http://www.bunnings.com.au/90-x-22mm-x-3-6m-micropro-treated-pine-decking_p0053284 . Thinking of doing this myself or if I dont have the time to ask my handyman to do this. Is this hard to do?

- Garage: Inspection report outlined that the garage which is separate from the house has reached the end of its service life. The cost of the repairs would not be financially viable. I was thinking that I could buy the Bunnings garage kit such as http://www.bunnings.com.au/garage-single-roll-door-absco-3-75x6-2-7m-w41-zc-zag644127rd_p3425934 My question to this is would I need to obtain Council permission (NSW). The plan shows that there already is a garage in place, so I am thinking I don't have to, unless the neighbor rats me out.

- Stairs and handrails: Was quoted $920 to remove and replace the stairs and handrails. Thinking I could do it cheaper by supplying the materials and either doing the work or if I have to ask my handyman to do. http://www.bunnings.com.au/timport-...af-rebated-handrail-per-lineal-metre_p0070670

- Window frames: The glass inself is good but the wooden frames/ architraves is rotten due to age and etc. I have read some articles about products that can restore the window frame back. What would the best thing be for this?

In the process also of doing my owner/ builder course online to obtain my own Powerpass card from Bunnings, instead of always getting the card off my friends.

Last edited: 9th Aug, 2015
  2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That sounds like a pretty good price.
    We had someone remove stairs (me and Dad gave him a hand, gave the wood to a neighbour for firewood), add a new support post, continue the railing to where the stairs were and add new timber around the balcony railing to bring it up to legal height. Total was about $1,300 which I was more than happy with.

jins13 likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

1. Lift the decking, the tops of the joists are possibly starting to rot. You may need to replace all the joists depending upon the extent of damage.
    2. Garage, yes it may be shown as approved and existing, but you are building walls which will require a licence (for domestic work owner builder or full licence).
    3. Not every handyman is that handy (you will need a chippy who can build stairs)
    4. Depends upon the extent of damage. A timber infill or fillers may work if you have adequate solid timber, if the sill is too far gone replacement may be the only solution.

jins13 likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

jins13 likes this.
  5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

They're just a big garden shed basically.
    Check your councils requirements for garages, my council was <20m2 didn't need an app

7. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

You can also buy stair kits from Bunnings. You just have to screw the treads to the stringers (side pieces).

What area of sydney is the job in. If it's not to far away I might be able to call in and get you started on the decking. I'm near Liverpool.

jins13 likes this.
  8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your offer of help Brian. I feel this experience is good way for me to develop skills in this. Like my property mentor told me, he learned how to fix something new with every reno project he completed. His last reno was a pretty small one by his standards but he installed the aluminium windows, floorboards, installed the kitchen (cabinets, splash back), bathroom, tilling, doors and locks, painting, garage, stairs and other things as well. I think his whole project only cost him $10k for materials and he used up 2 weeks to complete everything (heaps of redbulls included as well!!). Thats my eventual aim to be more handy with the tools and be less reliant on tradies in general.

9. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

That sounds good. I was offering to help you with the deck for free to get you started if you weren't sure where to start. And if it's not to far from my house or other jobs im already working at. If you have any questions about Renos please feel free to send me a message and I am happy to help.

jins13 likes this.