Decking Cost

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Carol M, 13th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Carol M

Carol M Well-Known Member

Hi, am trying to work out a rough estimate for cost of decking around a pool area in Newcastle, NSW.
    Is a max of $200 sq.m laid reasonable? Too high/too low?
    It will need to be raised approx 1m off fairly level ground as pool is semi-inground.
    Also have read a few comments that timber wears badly around a pool, and composite planks should be used, but that these can get too hot (not the good ones I suspect). Any feedback on this is welcome too.
    Thanks.

2. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

How many m2 in total is the job, type of timber or composite board will vary that price greatly

3. Carol M

Carol M Well-Known Member

Thanks. Probably a max of 40 sq.m. Timber type depends on cost, aye. Good composite is definitely an option. Otherwise either hardwood or treated pine.

If we can only afford pine, is there a better way to protect it from pool water than oil, maybe long lasting sealer or paint? Having to re-oil a deck every year would be a real pain.

Really just trying to get a ballpark price range now.

4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

If that's not for you, perhaps don't get a timber deck.
    You can paint a deck, but it doesn't protect it all that much better, especially if the paint chips somewhere.
    I oil my 70sqm spotted gum deck every year. It's a pain, but if I don't do it, it won't last.

Cost from memory was about $35/sqm for materials.

Hodor likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't use pine. We asked a builder friend this week about extending a small deck and whether we should use composite. He wasn't keen on composite at all and said go with hardwood.

There's a new product we've just used on a newly built deck on an IP that our builder has used and highly recommended over usual oil or water based products.

It's called Cutek and we apply two coats, and another in six months. I thought he said then it doesn't need yearly coats, but can't remember. I'm sure it's there on the tin though.

Attractive, Easy-to-Apply Wood Stains for Architects | Cutek

Last edited: 14th Jun, 2020
  6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Maintenance is just part of having a timber deck if you want to keep it looking good. I looked at heaps of different ones trying to find a low maintenance oil and they all seem to use the same key/buzz words like "penetrates deeply" (cutting a few test pieces i never found one that actually penetrates what I would call deeply) "won't crack or peel" etc. Always require reapplication 2 years or less depending on conditions.

I love our spotted gum decking after I have coated it for 6-12 months when I need to do it again and wish I had gone with a plastic hybrid. Then after coating I am happy with the timber again, its a vicious cycle.

They are all 6 months to 2 years re application per the information on the website.

spludgey likes this.
  7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

What is the framing? I'd prefer steel rather than timber although it does cost more. Same if posts with powder coated ones. Much lower maintenance which saves costs in the long term.

Angel likes this.
  8. wylie

I'm keen to see how this one weathers. It faces North/West and will cop a lot of sun, same direction our deck is at home. It gets very dry on the leading edge. I'm with you though on the PITA that it is to re-coat.

With this new deck, we will paint the outside board around the perimeter to avoid the extra dry leading edge problem.

But it does look lovely once done. If this Cutek holds up longer than whatever we used last time, I'll do it on ours next time.

Builder is very impressed with it as a product over the usual products.

9. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Interested to hear how it goes. Which oil from the range are they using? I noted the below -

"We recommend CD50 for Merbau Decking, Cypress and softwoods.

For use on Bamboo, Spotted Gum or other Aussie Hardwoods we recommend Cutek Extreme."

10. wylie

I'm not sure. The tin is at the house as second coat will go on in a few months. I hope we got the right one.

11. Petaurus

Petaurus Member

Above 1m is no longer exempt development in NSW and you may need a Complying Development Certificate and hand rails so see if you can keep it to lower than 1m. For hardwood/ modwood with H3 bearers/ joists the cost is probably about $120/m2 for materials so $200/ m2 is possible, plus the cost of the handrail if needed. Handrails are very expensive if done nicely.

Carol M likes this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm lazy wrt resanding/reoiling the deck. I'd opt for shopping around for the most realistic composite decking I can find. My estimate is about $8K supplied and installed for a 40 sqm deck that's low to the ground.

Carol M likes this.
  13. PeterProperty

PeterProperty Active Member

We're in Melbourne and received quotes around $250-$300 per sqm for our merbau deck

14. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

I have Qld Spotted Gum on our deck as well, the deck butts up to the pool and gets a absolute soaking 5 day per week, from 3 or more kids plus a dog that loves running mud all over it.
    That section 2.5mtr x 2.2mtrs is in full sun 90% of the day, the other 7m x 4m is under cover and protected, so it only needs oiling every 2nd year, but so far I have oiled it every year as its new.

I used Aquadeck which so far has been good but the timber guy across the road said to use Cutek Extreme, so when I do the re-oiling in 6 weeks time, ready for summer love, I will give it a light sand, pressure wash and try Cutek extreme.

15. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Cutek needs a tint, otherwise silvers off.

Carefull with the tint you choose, i went with sela brown and it's too red for my liking.

Something_Wrong likes this.
  16. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I just got a quote for 5 k for a composite deck , about 15-17 metres? I thought it was pretty xxxxy but the second quote was virtually the same, THATS with apron and, um, stuff.

17. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

Be careful about cheap composites... you will need to avoid the hollow ones, they won't last.

Modwood is made in Melbourne.
    Trex is made in USA, and most considered the best, but most expensive.
    Others, including Bunnings, are made in China.

18. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

I share your pain. Spotted gum freshly stained is such a beautiful thing, then 12 months later I hate it so much.... plastic decking is your toyota Corolla, dependable and low maintenance but difficult to get excited about. Hardwood with a nice stain is your Ferrari, so beautiful but you damn sure better service it or it goes bad very quickly.

Make sure to factor in the yearly staining costs in time and product. It's not cheap and takes a long time with prep etc.