Deck advice please!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MissMel, 14th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

To do the deck, or not the deck?

1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

16.7%
  1. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

Hi All, We have been toying with the idea of adding a deck to the back of our house, as we currently have no area to entertain. We've gotten 5-7 quotes and all are around the 40-45K mark. I've attached a pic of the back of our place, and a pic of the type of deck we're aiming for. The floor plan is perfect for a deck, as it'll come straight off the kitchen/living. Do you think it's a good idea in terms of adding value? The quotes were more than what we were expecting (originally predicted 30-35K). We do want to stay for a few years yet. Or should we hold off, and make sure future house definitely has a deck/entertaining area? Any advice is appreciated :) Thank you

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you've had 7 quotes and they are all about the same, then I'd say you are on the money. For Brisbane, not having a deck will pull you back when you come to sell.

I cannot imagine not having some sort of outside space in Brisbane. We've also found it harder to rent an IP with no outdoor living area.

The only downside is that once you put a deck on, you might stop the next buyer from extending the house, but I guess they can always close in the deck and add another one if they need to enlarge the inside living area.

MissMel likes this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Decks are awesome!!!

We just put one on our place and its night and day. Best reno we could've done.

If you do pit one on...You might not want to move...

I'm about to get my place revalued post deck. I'll report on if it made a difference or not.

MissMel likes this.
  4. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

We're looking at the same thing in Brisbane but at ground level. Have one quote for the pergola only at 12k, but need to update and get more quotes.

Much more structural work in what you are proposing, assuming the quotes include the price includes changes to the wall/large sliding door etc.

5. MissMel

Thanks for your response. I don't think future owners would extend as the house is already 4 bed. And yes, it's really annoying not having anywhere to have people over for drinks etc, so I think we may just go for it. It was just that bit more than I was hoping for. I had no idea they were that expensive! Honestly expected it to be around 30/35K

6. MissMel

Thanks for your input. I'd love to hear how it goes!

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm just going to say, wow, if it's just like the pic that would be a very nice deck. I generally think it will be good for future resalability. In what price bracket is your home?

MissMel likes this.
  8. MissMel

Yeah the quotes include everything (approvals, engineering, surveying, draftsman, roof, bi-fold doors). We're looking at 45K. I see so many places with decks (even absolute dumps) and now I'm thinking- is that what everyone is forking out?!

9. MissMel

We paid 630K two years ago. Prices in the area haven't moved much. So when quotes came back in the 40s, I've started to worry we're overcapitalising. I've even wondered if we'd be better just buying a place in same price range with a deck?

10. wylie

If it helps, we had quotes for a covered deck probably three years ago and that came in at $35k. We asked another builder and got it down to just under $30k.

And as @chindonly has mentioned, if that price includes changing the house wall I'd say it sounds about right.

Edit: Just read your response, and it does include everything.

MissMel likes this.
  11. wylie

You'll pay the same as your deck will cost in changover fees (selling fees, transfer duty to buy again).

So, if you are happy with the house and the area, I'd add the deck. I cannot imagine you would be overcapitalising, but check with a couple of local agents for their opinion. Don't tell them you might sell or they could sniff a new listing. Just ask if spending $45k to add a deck is overcapitalising.

MissMel likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

So is it more like a balcony as it's coming off the upper storey? That would explain the cost more than a simple deck at ground level.

It will also create some undercover area at ground level too I imagine as an added bonus?

Archaon and MissMel like this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

All good. Ok, so you are around the middle of the market, and you plan to live there for a fair few years yet. I think do it, but I do wonder if it can still be done for less.

14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I had a quote for my place, 7 x 4.5 in hardwood finish and treated pine frame. $10176 at 1.4m off ground with stairs and rails. No roof though, which is where a lot of your cost will be

Archaon likes this.
  15. MissMel

Thanks. That's actually a great idea. Will do that!

16. MissMel

I wish! Every visitor claims 40K can be beaten- then when they go away to do calculations- it always comes back 40+

17. MissMel

Seems a lot for a roof though? Obviously I've misjudged the magnitude of the project

18. MissMel

No, it won't be high enough to walk under, but will certainly add more room for storage and minimise some mowing!

19. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

If you budget allows, and more importantly, if you can get good view out of the deck when built at higher level, go for it (balcony). Provided you do not over-capitalize.

However, if you just want a place to entertain, go for a ground level, cheaper deck. The plus of this is that guests dont have to go to through your living area upstairs, which protects your privacy. And they can have direct access and saves energy from lugging their beer or esky upstairs. Kids get to kick the balls and BBQ pit can be set-up........

20. wylie

It seems other states would call this a balcony as it seems deck means something on the ground?

In Queensland it is a deck (or a verandah if you have that style of house, but verandah isn't the same as a deck) and you just don't want to have to walk down a set of stairs with food and drinks.

The desired decks run straight off the living areas.

Archaon and MissMel like this.